Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Anyone speak Canadian?

In a recent SnG, the table captain was from Quebec. Some of his English phrasing was a little formal, like a well-learned 2nd language. Near the bubble, I was short stacked and went into push/fold mode. He started commenting on my poor play, and after I took a big pot from him, he said "You ran lucky, greet it." Never heard "greet it" before.

He continued on about my good luck and bad play as we got heads up and I was the big chip leader. As I knocked him out, he told me again what an awful player I was, and I just said "Greet it". So, can anyone tell me what I said to him?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Re: OT: Anyone speak Canadian?

[ QUOTE ]
In a recent SnG, the table captain was from Quebec. Some of his English phrasing was a little formal, like a well-learned 2nd language. Near the bubble, I was short stacked and went into push/fold mode. He started commenting on my poor play, and after I took a big pot from him, he said "You ran lucky, greet it." Never heard "greet it" before.

He continued on about my good luck and bad play as we got heads up and I was the big chip leader. As I knocked him out, he told me again what an awful player I was, and I just said "Greet it". So, can anyone tell me what I said to him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Variant of "ship it"?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Anyone speak Canadian?

Im canadian and Ive never heard it...its those crazy french guys...
Old 01-04-2006, 03:42 PM

Sounds like an akward translation from a French phrase, but my French is a little too technical to be familiar with the connotations. Definitely not a Canadian expression of any sort. Bloody Quebecois, always talking big talk . . .
Old 01-04-2006, 04:21 PM

bad translation of "admit it"?
Old 01-04-2006, 04:26 PM

I just rechecked the hand history to make sure I had it right. He did say "greet it".

At another point there was observer chat, apparently from a friend of his, that says, "Hey (first name), lache pas !!!" This came right after the other guy folded to a push.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just rechecked the hand history to make sure I had it right. He did say "greet it".

At another point there was observer chat, apparently from a friend of his, that says, "Hey (first name), lache pas !!!" This came right after the other guy folded to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it sounds like a phrase that's been through the language wringer once too often. 'Lache pas' means 'don't let go', or perhaps more along the lines of 'take it down' in this poker context. 'Greet it' is likely a French-Canadian version of 'you know it' or something like that.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'Greet it' is likely a French-Canadian version of 'you know it' or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I took it in context. I figured "You ran lucky, greet it" meant something like "you were lucky, admit it" or "you were lucky, deal with it".
Old 01-05-2006, 04:44 PM

Quebec is still part of Canada?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:51 PM

Next time tell him to go back to Canadia.