Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Career Mess-Ups

Shall we call this “Down In A Blaze of Glory” ? Ever know anyone who messed up their career? I have a friend who was fired from his job about a month ago. It was a real shocker. This guy was the most dedicated employee I’ve ever met. Of all the people at my company he was the one I thought would rise to CEO one day, I am not kidding. We all did. His crime you ask? – playing with the numbers in his accounting spreadsheet. Don’t ask me how because I don’t know. I feel sorry for this guy because he really defined himself by his career and also his wife was a stay at home mom [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So, in a salute to my poor humiliated friend, thought it would be funny to reminisce over famous people (or non-famous people) who have gone down in a blaze of glory or done something embarrassing that caused them to damage their brilliant careers.

What are your favorite career blunders? Did the individual go to comical extremes in an attempt to “fix” his/her image? (My friend attempted to call numerous people in the company hierarchy to stop the ax from swinging. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Poor guy.)

I kind of like the political debacles myself. They make me cringe. I can think of a few. But anyway, here is my first nomination:

Winona Ryder’s little shoplifting stunt

What was this girl thinking? It makes me sad that she sabotaged her career!

She goes from being a presenter at the Academy Awards to being a shoplifter? Geez. Fortunately she and her lawyer entertained us with a circus atmosphere in the courtroom. Remember those cute little outfits and her sprained arm thing? The entire episode was pretty hilarious.

Hope she continues to make more movies in the future because I kinda thought she was a great little actress.

So let's hear your nominations for stupid, or cringe-worthy, professional mess-ups. (Pictures would be a plus!)
Old 05-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Career Mess-Ups

This one does not need any explanation.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:25 PM

I think this ruined a perfectly good film career
Old 05-12-2007, 02:09 PM

He was pretty far from his heyday when that show started up, so I don't agree on this one.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:13 PM

That and he never really had much of a film career to begin with. Was he ever A list?
Old 05-12-2007, 02:15 PM

No. He did a couple of okay films, some clunkers, and is mostly remembered for the National Lampoon Vacation films that are much better as memories dragged up from childhood than to go out and rent right now. Most of his movies got the thumbs down from reviewers. He was in a pretty decent one with I think Goldie Hawn, but he never hit that level again.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Old 05-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Lol, I remember when she died and my parents said I couldn't go outside and play that day because it would be disrespectful or something? O_O
Old 05-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Don't mean to be disrespectful or something about your parents, but that sounds pretty silly. I guess you must have been living in England. If not, I wouldn't let your parents around sharp objects, and would confiscate their belts and ties.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:51 PM

Paul Reubens/Pee Wee Herman