Absolutely 17 12.32%
Yes 25 18.12%
No 79 57.25%
Whatever 17 12.32%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Are these sports?

[ QUOTE ]
I voted yes on billiards and no on bowling because both take physical skill, and there's a dynamic element to billiards that there isn't to bowling so I put bowling out and billiards in. Golf is close in that it's not that dynamic either, but more than bowling is,so it's the last one in for sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

By dynamic, I assume you mean that the playing field is constantly changing? Then you had to have said yes to curling, correct?

As for bowling not being dynamic, at the pro level (which is I assume what we are talking about), the pros are constantly changing their targets throughout the match because of the way the oil pattern is changing. You likely won't notice it on TV because it happens gradually. But you will notice it if you compare the line a bowler takes in the first frame of the first game to the last frame he bowls on the teleacst, 3-4 games later.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:19 PM

From dictionary.com

Sport

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

*I'll never buy bowling or fishing as a sport, and golf is very borderline, and auto racing no chance.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 PM

This poll doesn't work very well because it doesn't show what percentage of people think each activity is a sport. There should be 11 polls, really (though ideally the forum software should suck less and show how many people voted in all).
Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have an option for "No to all of them".

[/ QUOTE ]

You're SO controversial!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From dictionary.com

Sport

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

*I'll never buy bowling or fishing as a sport, and golf is very borderline, and auto racing no chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot:

[ QUOTE ]
3. An active pastime; recreation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. Just commenting on his polling, not necessarily my opinion. I'm all for video games. You can't tell me the Wii doesn't work up a bigger sweat than golfing or baseball.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:18 PM

Golf is definetly a sport, it takes a lot of stamina to play 4 straight rounds of 18 holes, you rarely see people out of shape dominate, so most of the participants are in top shape.

Auto Racing is not a spot, but I would consider that most drivers are athletes...
Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 PM

I'd define a sport as a competition in which some form of physical prowess is the most important thing being measured. So, "yes" to everything except Poker, Chess, and Video Games. Although, actually, the video game tournaments are really close by that definition, and Auto Racing is almost a "No."
Old 05-10-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. Just commenting on his polling, not necessarily my opinion. I'm all for video games. You can't tell me the Wii doesn't work up a bigger sweat than golfing or baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to sound like a dick but, you've never played baseball have you? Have you ever tried throwing just 20 pitches from a mound during the summer, or taking 10 consecutive groundballs? Running out a triple? I think you need to rethink your position on baseball.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:41 PM

I voted Baseball, Curling and Golf. Curling and Auto Racing are very borderline, and I could see it going either way.

I once had to write a definition paper. I picked "sport." I defined sport as

1) Judged objectively (gymnastics, ice skating out. I call these arts.)

2) Physical activity/endurance. This is why I think auto racing and curling are borderline. I'm not sure I could sit in a car for hours on end doing nothing but go in a circle. There is some endurance there. And with curling, there is physical activity with staying on your skates and whatnot. Really on the fence with these two.