Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: STAPLE DISHES: EGGS

if i'm having bacon, i cook the bacon first. then drain off most of the fat. I leave a tiny bit of the bacon fat in the pan to cook the eggs with. It's not healthy, but it is delicious.

You cooked the eggs over-easy. Try and flip them without breaking the yoke and they will look a lot nicer. I always do fried eggs over easy as I don't like the eggs to be "gooey".

If I'm cooking scrambled eggs I use milk and I also like to add chopped onion, pepper, and sometimes tomato to the eggs. I like the vegies pretty raw, so I put them in the eggs instead of cooking them first. I also like to add cheese right before the eggs are done so it melts in nicely.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i was under the impression that adding milk and pepper to scrambled eggs was SUPER standard.. no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that adding milk to scrambled eggs was for people who couldn't cook. I don't mean that as a shot to you but I was always told if you know how to prepare and cook right, milk is not needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno if that's correct, i'm not really a chef or anything. could't you as easily say that using a lighter is for people who can't start a fire using two sticks? i mean, if adding milk leads to fluffier eggs, how could it be knocked?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You cooked the eggs over-easy. Try and flip them without breaking the yoke and they will look a lot nicer. I always do fried eggs over easy as I don't like the eggs to be "gooey".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean over hard, or at a minimum over medium. Over easy is supposed to be nice and runny.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:59 PM

I am a chef and in regards to scrambled eggs milk tends to make them heavy.
Add a little cold water to the beaten eggs then get a pan real hot, throw in a knob of butter, add eggs and whisk until light and fluffy. The eggs should be served slighty wet imo.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that adding milk to scrambled eggs was for people who couldn't cook. I don't mean that as a shot to you but I was always told if you know how to prepare and cook right, milk is not needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alton Brown uses milk in his recipe. The milk may be needed or not, but his approach to cooking the eggs certainly works well.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was under the impression that adding milk and pepper to scrambled eggs was SUPER standard.. no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Adding milk is standard. Adding heavy cream is much, much better. I used to add pepper, but decided I didn't like it very much. Sometimes I'll add a tiny bit of sausage fat if I'm making breakfast sausages (almost everyone else finds this disgusting though) or paprika.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this too until I came to college and realized that most people don't know to add milk to the eggs.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:04 PM

I tend to add diced green pepper and onion (both available in convenient frozen form) and some cheese to my scrambled eggs.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:19 PM

one of my favorite ways to make eggs is:
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1 pkg saltines

crush the saltines up until they are like a powder, and whisk the milk, eggs and saltines in a bowl and let it stand for 10 minutes or so. cook in a saute pan, covered over low heat, stirring occasionally. these are awesome after a night of drinking!

I find that in general, eggs need to be cooked slowly over very low heat. anytime I am in a hurry and cook them over high heat they turn out dry and bad.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Adding milk is standard. Adding heavy cream is much, much better. I used to add pepper, but decided I didn't like it very much. Sometimes I'll add a tiny bit of sausage fat if I'm making breakfast sausages (almost everyone else finds this disgusting though) or paprika.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adding cream cheese works wonders.

The whipped variety makes it easier to add and distribute evenly but the regular stuff works fine too.

Everyone I've ever made scrambled eggs for loves them, and most now add cream cheese when they make it themselves.