Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: St.Louis Cardinal Josh Hancock killed...

[ QUOTE ]
Chances that he was one of the players who was at Shannon's steakhouse with Hancock and is riding a major guilt-trip for letting him take his own car out of there?

[/ QUOTE ]
TLR isn't exactly a choir boy either, given his spring training incident.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:55 PM

ZBT - ESPN was repeating what the St. Louis Post Dispatch said. But they are also qualifying it by explaining it may not have happened that way.

St. Louis POst Dispatch gets interview from someone who claims to have overheard Hancock talking with ESPN analyst Dave Campbell at the restaurant.
They claim to have heard Hancock say that he slept in that day because he had been drinking all night.

But Campbell tells ESPN that this NEVER came up in the conversation (thus implying that whoever claims to have overheard that is lying).
Campbell also reports that Hancock did not appear to have had an excessive amount or anything and that they talked for maybe 30 minutes.

Perhaps Campbell is just covering for a kid he never met before but there is a contrary opinion on that part of the story.

Regarding the general idea though: None of it would surprise me. People drink. Ball-players drink. Some of them drink a lot. Some of them drive.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:23 PM

There are red flags all over this story. One is that he told the restaurant manager that he was only driving to a hotel three blocks away. Why would he go to a hotel if he lives there? Obvious lie to get her off his back so he could leave. Plus all the stuff about the two truck driver honking, the lights on the truck being on.

I guess it's also very possible he fell asleep at the wheel, maybe with a BAC under the legal limit, but the whole thing about a cab being suggested for him is a huge area of concern.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Apparently the 'showed up late' to the game three days earlier was due to another accident.

Fox Sports Article

Says the cops say no alcohol involved in that one.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:09 PM

tuq - he could concieveably be going to a hotel to meet friends at the bar or a restaurant.

I'm not familiar with the Westin in St. Louis. But the Westin in Detroit is freaking gigantic and has several bars and restaurants inside.

He could have been lying about only going 3 blocks away of course.
But it's not unrealistic at all for there to be some legitimate reason for him to go to a hotel (besides the other possibility that he just finds it easier to live there during the regular season).
Old 05-01-2007, 05:24 PM

MicroBob,

I guess one thing I didn't see in the article is the time disparity between when he left the restaurant and when the accident happened. 20 minutes? Three hours? Good point about the hotel bars, he could have stopped there and had plenty more drinks before heading home.

The time gap is a pretty key piece of data, if it's large enough it should remove the restaurant from any liability. However, it may not be that great because there were no sightings of him mentioned anywhere else after he left there.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, it may not be that great because there were no sightings of him mentioned anywhere else after he left there.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'd walked past him on the street, I don't know if I would have recognized him. If he was wearing a nametag or a red cards hat, maybe.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:32 PM

RDH,

C'mon now. I meant like friends and/or acquaintances who could vouch for his presence somewhere else after the restaurant.

If I knew what you look like and I saw you at a party, and the next thing I know you were dead, I'm sure word would get back to TPTB soon enough that you were there.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:34 PM

from firejoemorgan.com:

This Is Unverified

But if it's true, wow, what a ****-up. Reader Rees writes:

In the Hancock montage just shown on ESPN, narrated by Karl Ravech, the very first film of the montage is actually Brad Thompson not Hancock.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 PM

Oh. Right.

Only thing I can come up with is that alkies like to drink alone, and particularly if he was going to be hitting it hard right before a gameday. He wouldn't exactly call up Dave Duncan to go drink with him.

But you're right, that's all I've got.