Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 02:23 AM

Default bdams19 summer log

Hey everyone, didnt even know we had a gym forum until now so I'm gonna start posting. In high school I was in much better shape (currently finishing last semester as a junior) and only recently have I got back into a serious routine. I'd like to hear critiques and criticism on my routines and excercise choices; I am very open to advice. Here is my current situation:

height 5'8"
weight 178
goal: add muscle and get cut, no real target weight. I also have to start keeping track of weight and reps because I don't have a notebook for that.

supplements: NO2 and CE2, Fast Twitch Lemonade Preworkout drink , Whey protein shake after workout

Today was legs/shoulders:
Military Press
65lb x12
85lb x10
85lb x10
85lb x10

Calf raises:
70lb x 15, x3

Shoulder Flies:
15lb ea. x 12

Quad Extension (? where you are sitting and the pads rest on your shins and you curl it foward)
130x 12
165x 10, x3

Hamstring Curls
80x 12, x3 (could be off on weight)

Shoulder Front Raises (holding weight at sides lifting straight armed in front of you)
15lb ea. x 12, x3

Breakfast/Lunch
2 egg omlette with milk, peppers, mushrooms, cheese, sausage and english muffin.

No preworkout drink today, grabbed a protein bar before hand ( forgot/lazy)

Protein shake after workout.

Dinner:
Quizno's Parmesean Turkey Bacon on whole wheat (was on the run to the As Tall as Lions show, dont usually eat fast food).

Later dinner (9:00 pmish) Meatball sub (again horrible)

This was today. My diet is not doing so hot since I need to go food shopping and I was on the run in the city / hoboken today. Please give me tips on workout regemen as far as excercises and even what groups to do on what day as my routine is not very structured. I will have pics up as soon as I can for a starting point for progression. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Re: bdams19 summer log

Do standing military press with more weight, and ditch everything else for squats (back sometimes, front sometimes, both sometimes).

Also, from what people are saying here and elswhere N2O is garbage. If you're trying to gain mass, have a meal before bed. Protein shake + oatmeal is ideal for something super cheap.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 AM

monday's update

I've been reading through work out routines and have decided to change my regular routine of picking two muscle groups per day and focusing on those. I've decided to try out the Rippitoe workout, which mainly focuses on powerlifts / overall body strength as opposed to isolation. Like I said, I have been doing more or less the same routine for a while (but I had stopped lifting for a long time) so I think this change will be very productive.

I am not sure how much weight I will need but today I will take a workout journal with me and record everything. I do not have a lifting partner even though all of my gym friends are mostly partnered up or they dont go on the regular so I usually have to ask for random spots, but this is something to think about since I always have a tendency push harder when someone is spotting (as I think most people do).

heres todays diet, and like all my posts, feel free to offer suggestions / criticism:
supplements: regular doses of no2 and ce2

breakfast:
two egg white omelette with ham, 2 mushrooms, peppers
glass of orange juice

(post will be edited as day goes on, just had time)
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 PM

ok yesterday was cardio (2 hours of ultimate frisbee / volleyball) and today was my first rippitoe or what not. My diet sucks; I need to go food shopping extremely badly as I dont have ANYTHING in the fridge beside cheese, half a pepper, and a bag of mushrooms. ugh.

Tuesday's workout:

Ass Squats (close as possible to ground):
135 x 12
205 x 12
205 x 12

Dumbbell Bench Press
40 x 12
45 x 12
45 x 12

Standing Rows
45 x 12
80 x 12
80 x 12

Pull Ups (weight in assist)
40 x 10
50 x 8
60 x 8

Weighted Crunch
30 x 15 (x3)

Leg Lifts
failure x3

Post workout drink:
2 scoops whey protein + water

Since this was the first time I have done this routine, the weights are not where they really should be yet, especially since I didnt have a spotter today. Aside from that, how does everything look?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:07 PM

I know you said you need to go food shopping so maybe that's why but...post workout you should be getting in a lot of simple sugars (i.e. dextrose, maltodextrin). About twice as many grams of those sugars for every gram of protein (something like 90:45).

(this post goes out to skunkworks.)
Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Since this was the first time I have done this routine, the weights are not where they really should be yet, especially since I didnt have a spotter today. Aside from that, how does everything look?

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer more sets/fewer reps per set myself. Are you trying to get stronger and bigger or just bigger? If the first I would switch to something like 5x5, especially for your big compound lifts.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
today was my first rippitoe or what not.

Tuesday's workout:
Ass Squats (close as possible to ground):
135 x 12
205 x 12
205 x 12

Dumbbell Bench Press
40 x 12
45 x 12
45 x 12

Standing Rows
45 x 12
80 x 12
80 x 12

Pull Ups (weight in assist)
40 x 10
50 x 8
60 x 8

Weighted Crunch
30 x 15 (x3)

Leg Lifts
failure x3

Post workout drink:
2 scoops whey protein + water

[/ QUOTE ]
The program calls for 3 sets of 5 at the same weight.

Unless you are deconditioned and are trying to get your muscles used to the movements, do it how it was designed. You're going to be squatting every other day, 3 sets of five is more than enough work. Also, doing fewer reps will allow you to lift heavier weights. This program is designed to get you stronger.

Also, add some dextrose or maltodextrin to your post workout shake.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:45 PM

gotcha, thanks for the heads up guys I was unaware. Here are some pics I took of myself, pretty tough cause my camera phone decides not to take pictures alot of the time and my mirror is small. Ignore farmers tan lol.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:33 PM

April 27 update:
Weighed in at 176 today; I'm pretty happy with this. I owe it mainly to my change in diet. Still no spotter, but didnt really need one for today.

took 2 days off from soreness, heres todays lift:

Ass squats
Usually when I squat, I go down till my legs are ~90 degrees. I can do much more weight this way obviously, but doing squats where my ass touches my calves is much more intense.

bar x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5

Standing Military Press
I've never done this before (typically sit down when doing shoulders), and I love the feeling it gives my core. Wasnt sure about weight on this one.

bar x 10
55 x 10
65 x 10
75 x 10
85 x 5 x3

Deadlift

135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 5 x3

Bent Over Rows
45 x 10
50 x 10
55 x 10
60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5

Pull ups (knuckles facing in)
(weight assist) x rep

70 x 10
60 x 10
50 x 5
50 x 5
50 x 5

Diet:
Lunch:
3 egg white omelette with peppers and one slice cheddar

Snack:
2 tbs chunky peanut butter
1 Banana

Workout

Whey Protein Shake
2 Tbs Peanut butter
1 Banana

Dinner:
2 Chicken breasts with peppers and cheddar cheese and hot sauce.

Any advice/ suggestions/ criticism would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 PM

is that all you are eating today?