Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Best Boss Battles

C'Thun in World of Warcraft.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:19 PM

I'm going to nominate a somewhat unusual one. My pick are the three pecking tentacles in Half-Life that you have to kill by firing up the rocket engine. What's great about them is that essentially the whole level/stage is designed around beating them, and that you have to spend so much time dodging them that they're truly maddening. Most FPS bosses are a glorification of "empty clip after clip into them while dodging their fire" or "figure out the one trick weakness, and then empty clip after clip into that while dodging their fire." The tentacles were a cool change of pace in that you couldn't just kill them, nor were they just spying you and then opening fire. I'm not sure how much the "sound sensitive" mechanic had been used before this game, but the execution here was slick, fresh, and effective. The loud, echoing clangs of their pecking still resonate in every Half-Life fans ears. Finally pushing that button and firing the rocket is one of the most satisfying feelings in any FPS ever made.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:52 AM

Andross from Star Fox (SNES)
Old 12-15-2006, 02:27 AM

Final Fantasy 12 has some very very tough boss battles. When you realize towards the end, when doing some of the hunts, that the battle is going to be "epic." When fighting 'Omega Mark XII' expect it to take 3 and half hours and just constant strategy changing due to how he fights. Then the toughest, Yiazmat, has over 5 million life, the battle takes about 5+ hours, I have yet to beat him. I haven't done the final boss fights yet, but I'm sure they won't be anywhere near as good as the optional ones.

Oh and I figured Omega Weapon in FF6 would win this hands down...guess I was wrong.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played many games all the way through. But General Raam in Gears of War gave me lots of trouble and it felt great to finally take him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gave me some trouble too, but I don't see how anyone sees this as an even remotely great boss battle.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For RPGs I'd have to say Velius from FF Tactics. His fight is somewhere in the middle of the game, and there's an unexitable save point right before it. He's tough. So tough in fact that if you've just been going along with the story and not done any extra leveling, there's a decent possibility that you have no chance of beating him. And if you used the save point right before him, you can't get out to do more leveling. So it's a boss so powerful that it makes you restart the whole damn game. I know two people who had to do this, and it was hilarious each time.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG OMG OMG OMG

This is why I stopped playing the game when I was like 13.
Then, when I was like 20, I decided to replay it again, only to COMPLETELY FORGET WHY I STOPPED PLAYING ORIGINALLY.

So, nearly a decade apart I get stuck at the same point both damn times.

[censored] YOU FFT
Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 AM

Best ones have already been mentioned. Metal Gear and Zelda games. The Smash TV and Total Carnage Bosses deserve some mention. Magneto in X-men and some of the KoFs for their legendary cheapness.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For RPGs I'd have to say Velius from FF Tactics. His fight is somewhere in the middle of the game, and there's an unexitable save point right before it. He's tough. So tough in fact that if you've just been going along with the story and not done any extra leveling, there's a decent possibility that you have no chance of beating him. And if you used the save point right before him, you can't get out to do more leveling. So it's a boss so powerful that it makes you restart the whole damn game. I know two people who had to do this, and it was hilarious each time.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG OMG OMG OMG

This is why I stopped playing the game when I was like 13.
Then, when I was like 20, I decided to replay it again, only to COMPLETELY FORGET WHY I STOPPED PLAYING ORIGINALLY.

So, nearly a decade apart I get stuck at the same point both damn times.

[censored] YOU FFT

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the fight where Ramza fights the boss one-on-one then the rest of your party joins in the second stage? People have posted a little "cheat" in order to make this easier. During the first stage, continue to use Ramza's Guts ability which increases his speed. You can increase it to the point where you're taking 8-9 moves to every one the enemy takes, while avoiding his attacks. This speed increase will continue to the second stage, which makes it much easier to finish up.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:37 PM

I thought some of the battles in RE4 were pretty awesome when we played it when it came out.

The fights with the army dude (forgot name, not looking up) and the shark fight...they were all pretty sweet fights.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My pick are the three pecking tentacles in Half-Life

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a really good choice, even if it's not a traditional 'boss battle' (since it's really the whole level). Just thinking about it makes me nervous again... <click> Throwing grenades to try to distract them... <click, click> running from place to place... <click, click, CRASH>

When I think of great boss battles it's usually Zelda and Metroid games that come to mind. I definitely remember getting physically tired fighting the last boss in Metroid Prime, which took me about half an hour to beat.