Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-05-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Post a childhood memory

[ QUOTE ]

Another fav memory of Hawaii is anytime it rained. Up Nanakuli valley there was an area where the water would pool up into a big pond. Right in the middle of the pond was a 15-20 ft high cliff.

One random rainy afternoon my best friend and I went exploring when someone said that there was a bunch of people somewhere near the high school. On the way up we ran into my friend's brother who guided us the rest of the way. When we get there the whole high school including my brother was there. FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!! I had the best time that day.

I love Hawaii.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glo: I love Hawaii too and some of my favorite childhood memories are of Manoa after the rain.

I remember watching my cousin David skateboard around his neighborhood after it had rained and thinking his life was so cool in Hawaii. My sister and I would run around trying to catch the toads that came out after a rain, hoping to save them from the cars. We thought it was just the greatest thing in the world. (lol - I remember thinking my cousin was pretty weird for chasing the squirrels when he visited us in the midwest.)

I also remember David's dad cooking dinner for us outside on their patio, and thinking the hibachi meat smelled amazing and wishing he would hurry up. I used to think he was really cool until I found out that he was actually a mean bastard who kept a stick above the doorway for smacking his kids. Then I didn’t really know what to think about him. I remember me and my sister being amused by my uncle’s family because their white church shoes were lined up in a row according to size, from large to small. They would wear white pants and white shoes to church.

lol, also remember my uncle would tease me because I could sit in my wicker chair for hours and watch endless TV sitcoms while eating Mr. Salty pretzels. Those were good days!

Funny the stuff we remember [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Blarg: I've never known anyone who lived in Guam. Your post brings back memories of the times my sisters and I played at the Pali on Oahu. The winds are strong there (not sure why) and I remember laughing my head off as we tried to run into the wind and thinking it was just hilarious to shout at each other. My mom has some cool pictures of us kids up there in that mountain pass with our hair and jackets flying upwards. It wasn’t dangerous like a typhoon, just super windy.

Runkmud: The image of you coloring in your cul-de-sac is really, really sweet. I had forgotten how I used to love coloring books! Getting a new one was always a big deal to me.

I have occasionally heard about dogs like yours but sadly have never met one. You were really lucky with your Snuffy and the forests behind your home. Sounds awesome.

Thanks everyone for sharing your childhood memories [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
These were really fun! Please feel free to post more memories in this thread because it really cheers me up and it’s a great read.

- Pryor, a memory? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2006, 01:03 PM

Just to be a child. Simply to exist without being violently ripped from the present with thoughts of bills, women, responsibility. Never having the pleasure of a walk through the forest, with my dog, tainted by the memory of a past mistake.

Knowing that Daddy knew everything. Being woken from a nap at the daycare center to find him there ready to take me to the zoo for a ride on a camel.

Riding my bike at 12 and knowing that the only thing that mattered was being able to keep up with my friends as we whizzed along down the trail.

And perhaps ones I miss the most, though I didn't know it at the time were all the times that books and movies and infitesimal disappointments would bring on tears and subsequent emotional release without ever realizing there was a world of people out there whose opinions were supposed to matter to me.

I was going to end it there, but find my own words too bittersweet, so I'll end on a lighter note.

When I was three or four, I had spinal meningitis.

I remember some of the trauma that went along with that experience, but I never knew how sick I was, so there was never any fear of death or disability. And to this day one of my fondest memories of childhood were the days that my father would come to visit me in my crib. I would stand up and pull at the facemask he was required to wear and let it snap back on his mouth. I would do this until the elastic broke and then we'd do it again. It was truly great fun.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:10 PM

Thanks Katy, and great idea for a thread, it's threads like this that make me enjoy the Lounge so much. Great and touching stories by all.

Happy Birthday Tenn!

Ok, I'll tell y'all another one, keep in mind, this tale is from the memory of a six year old, so there might be some unintentional exageration.

When I was six, and lived in Georgia, my parents took my brother and I to see the movie Grease. That day was the first day I truly knew the meaning of love, or maybe even lust in the mind of a six year old. Olivia Newton John was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, and I decided that she must realize I was the one for her, yes, I was the world's youngest stalker.

At six I was pretty ingenuitive, having already built our doorless clubhouse, yes a small oversite on my part. I also loved taking mine and my brothers toys apart to see how they worked, to his dismay. I was definitely more handy then, than I am now. So I decided that the only way to score chicks, or Olivia Newton John for that matter, was to own a car, a hot car, like the one in Grease.

So with that in mind, I went to building a go-cart. It was a pretty simple go cart, two evenly cut sides, a back, and some plywood on the bottom with wheels. Not exactly constucted with safety as a priority, there were bent nails along with some unbent, hanging out everywhere. Finally when it was done to my satisfaction, I painted it, just like the car in Grease, well, as much as my abilities allowed it to. I wasn't very good with lightning bolts, I've included an interpretation of what it looked like, that I think is fairly accurate.

After it's completion, I and the rest of the kids in the neighborhood were pretty excited to see it's maiden voyage. So the big day finally came and in true Evel Kneivel style, I was dressed for the occasion, I was wearing my Superman underoos and a Dallas Cowboys football helmet, for safety of course.

Our house was in a cul-de-sac, that was lead to by a road that came down a pretty steep hill, then curved into that cul-de-sac. So my brother and I pushed the cart all the way to the top of the hill, and he went and got his big wheel, he was part of the chase team.

We gathered the neighbohood kids, which consisted of the twin girls, who I was set on if Olivia Newton John turned me down, my brother, and my friends Brandy and Jeremy. It was a pretty good turn out in my opinion. So after some, I'm sure, idiotic speech, I got in and my brother started pushing me down the hill.

I've previously called this contraption a go-cart. I believe that to be an erroneous statement now, upon further reflection. See, a go-cart tends to denote some form of breaking or even steering, but my box on wheels had neither of those. I also realized it then, about halfway down the hill, cramped in this little box, nails sloppily sticking out of everywhere. I did what any brilliant six year old would do, I panicked. I bailed out, tipping the whole thing, and rolled down the rest of the hill. I had some scrapes and bruises, nothing serious, course, I was crying my head off, and my brother road his big wheel down to my rescue.

Well, for a while at the top of that hill, I felt like a superstar. I was chock full of confidence, had the attention of the girls, the adoration of my friends, it felt great. Of course, it, like most of my attempts to woo women for quite a long time, fell flat, but it was great anyway.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:31 PM

The best was when my mom and dad brought home my younger brother. I was just over 3 years old and my older brother was 8. There's a cool picture with My older brother and I sitting in a big chair and holding our new younger brother between the two of us with my Mom closely hovering behind. I remember that day. My dad rough-housed with both my older brother and I. There was lots of laughing and smiling...giddiness.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:47 AM

....just got around to reading this thread.

Thanks much to all who posted as reading all of the posts has brought back many memories from fun to tragedy.

I will share some shortly.....right now Monday and its' full workload is about to begin.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:31 PM

Some context: Seeing as my father is one of 5 boys who are all over 6 feet tall, my family is naturally a basketball family. My uncle was a Parade 3rd team All-American out of High School (the same year Kareem was player of the year...i've seen the magazine, there's even a picture of my uncle...he also once beat Bill Russell at HORSE) and pretty much everyone played varisty. i know of at least 6 state titles where at least one McNelly was a key starter.

Some of my earliest, fondest memories involve basketball season, how the first NBA Finals I ever watched was the Celtics/Rockets series, which a large portion of the family watched at my grandparent's house, how large portions of my summers as a kid involved pick up games, winning a state title with my father as the coach and my brother as my backcourt partner, and even now one of the hilights of going home is playing pickup games or helping my brother run the practice of our alma mater.

But, when I was a kid, the local CBS affiliate would broadcast all the Boston road games (this was back when Larry Bird was still playing) and I'd get to watch sometimes all the way to halftime before I had to go to bed. Very quickly, I learned that if I laid on the floor of my room and lowered my head slightly over the edge of the stairs, I could still see the game undetected.

I watched a lot of basketball that way, especially during the NCAA tourney.

If I was lucky, Mom, who wasn't big into basketball, would go to bed sometime in the third quarter, and if the game was close down the stretch, Dad would "wake me up" and let me watch the last couple of minutes, provided I didn't tell Mom. The Duke/UNLV game was one such game (I modeled my play after Bobby Hurley, so I was then, and still am, a Duke fan).

It's such a minor thing, but to a kid, the chance to secretly watch the end of a close game when you're supposed to be in bed is beyond cool. Especially for a kid like me who later would tape World Series games and get up 3 hours early to watch them before school, rather than risk having to go to bed before they were over and missing something amazing.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:16 PM

I remember my Dad set up a basketball hoop when I was about 7 years old. My brother, dad, grandfather and I played many 2 on 2 games over the next 5 years.

I remember my dad being an assistant coach for my little league team. He would pitch every batting practice. He set up a pitching mound in our back yard and would catch for me and my brother. Neither of us was a pitcher (or very good at baseball), but he always had time to play with us.

(Sad note -- Our first little league coach was a police officer who was killed in the line of duty by a 16 year old kid about 2 years later. There is a park named after him in my hometown.)

Another fond memory is spending Friday nights with my grandparents when I was 10-13. My grandparents would come over to the house for dinner and then I would head back with them to their mobile home. We would stay up and watch a MASH rerun at 11:30 followed by the CBS late movie. My grandfather would fall asleep and snore. I would usually fall asleep on the floor. The next day he would take me to the clubhouse to shoot pool.

Finally, I remember learning to water ski with my other grandfather. My dad took me up with him and put my feet on the skis in front of his. My grandfather waterskiied well into his 80s.

Thanks for this thread idea. I have not thought about some of these things in a while.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:58 AM

My first memory. I was either 2 or 3 when this happened.

For some reason, my Dad was watching me one weekend and he had to go into work. He had (and still has) a white collar job working for GE, but his office building is on the same grounds as a bunch of GE factories. The blue collar factory workers were all on strike, but there weren't any protesters outside the gate when we went in... probably because it was the weekend.

Anyway, by the time my Father had finished working, the pissed-off Union Workers had all showed up at the plant gate. They were blocking the exit and yelling at us. Some security guards were trying to hold them back, but a few of them broke through the guards and rushed the car. My window was open, and one obese, greasy union worker put his head inside the car, looked at me, and the yelled at my Dad "Teachin' ya kid to be a SCAAAAAAB!!!??" I thought that was hilarious. End of memory.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:24 AM

My childhood was a combination of really good things and some really crappy things as well. My mother was Bi-Polar (Manic-Depressive) and so a lot of the good things were pushed aside by totally crazy stuff that a person would rather forget.

Anyway, One of the really fun things I can remember is when my dad and I would hop in the car and go "Bumming". I do not know why in the world he called it that but he did. "Bumming" was a night out with just the two of us and no set plan. We would go until we found something that looked like fun and do it. It might have been an arcade and playing pinball. It might have been a pool hall and playing pool. It might have been just going and getting Ice Cream from the Dairy Queen, whatever.

One of these bumming nights I remember in particular was the night we went to the opening of Jaws! No one had seen this movie yet and no one knew quite what to expect. We came up to the movie theater and there was this huge line so we figured it must be something good. We waited our turn and got our tickets.

I have never ever seen a theater filled with people who were so scared in all of my life. At one point I was watching the people more than the movie, mainly because I was too scared to watch!. People were literally diving into the floor of the theater and screaming and leaving because they were so scared. My dad even lost a contact lens that night because he was throwing his hands up to cover his face and hit his eye and the thing popped out! (I think that was when the head came out of the hole in the boat) I had to go, much later, to see the movie again because there were so many things I missed. I didn't have any idea what came out of the bottom of that boat until a second viewing and no one else who had seen it could tell me either!

Anyway, I will always look back on our "Bumming" night and smile and remember just how much fun it was with just the two of us and no other plan that to do something FUN.

I miss my dad.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:33 PM

You too, huh? Yeah, got nailed by the same disease, Valentine's Day, '80.

Blew out my eardrums but left everything else intact. Anger didn't set in until my teens. Anyway.

Here's another story. Dad's in construction, we're on-site before the official opening of the SkyDome. You know, just suits and some invited workers in weekend clothing, having pizza and whatever, I remember looking down lakeside and being told that they found lots of glass garbage while doing the initial preparations for the site.

That 50 years previously, that stretch of land was actually the lakeshore. Being with Dad, knowing he was a part of something truly big. Took me to a spot on the site, says this is gonna be home plate for the stadium.

And it's in every skyline picture of Toronto. Spent a lot of Saturdays on-site watching the workers build the Dome. It's not until recently I realized how fortunate I was to be a part of that experience. Every time I pass by, every time I go to a Jays game, it always feels like home, 'cause I know how much work went into building that stadium, that feeling of pride when I can say, you know what, my own Dad helped build that thing. It'll stand even after we're ashes and frozen patterns in spacetime.