Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-05-2006, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Forum Project Step 2-3

Wow, that is a nice domain grab. What exactly do you want your site to do ice? Joomla and drupal are great at what they do, but they're not for every type of website. Check out some example sites, they all have that CMS look to them.

They're great tools, but they will take some time to learn.

If you are just building a static site with adsense then you probably don't need to mess with a CMS. If you want a constantly evolving community driven dynamic site then a CMS is probably your best bet. But you'll still have to learn some basics about CSS, MySql, PHP, ect.

It might be better to go with some software aimed at newbies. I can vouch for NetObjects, anyone could build a site with it, and I've heard good things about Xsitepro.

$200 is steep, but it might pay off for you. Whatever you do don't go to torrentspy.com and download the software. That's illegal, even if you're just testing the software out.

Good luck to you. Don't be afraid to ask questions, I'm more than happy to help if I can, and so are the majority of people involved in this project.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:28 AM

I would like to model it after cnbc's IPO center http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/market/ipomain.asp

I want to list upcoming offerings and maybe comment on them. I also want the site to be linked to a finance portal and have the performance updated.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:44 AM

I'd say you should probably invest the time into learning one of the CMS's if that's what you're shooting for.

I have no experience with drupal, but I'd bet that's the best solution for you. I do have minimal experience with joomla. It has a learning curve but it's not terrible. I've read that drupal can be more confusing at first.

If you decide to go with joomla, just google "beginning joomla." You should find the guide on joomla.org and it has step by step instructions on getting started.

One of the best reasons to pick joomla is the huge community and knowledge base that it has. I haven't had a question about it yet that I haven't either found or had answered for me on the forums there.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:49 AM

Cool thanks for the tips. I'll look into both of those further.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:08 AM

My friend loaded a heap of stuff onto my computer which included dreamweaver studio 8, im 99% sure this is a pirate version, should i go out and buy the proper version, I mean besides ethics is there any reason to not use a pirated version?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:22 AM

Besides ethics there's the tiny chance of getting caught with pirated software.

I wouldn't recommend it, but you wouldn't be the first person on the planet to use a pirated version of dreamweaver.

IMO, if you're going to be using the software, you should just buy it. It'll pay for itself over time.

If you'd rather not, I doubt you'd get caught, but karma can be a b*tch.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:44 AM

yeh thats what i thought, maybe ill just try to figure out drupal or one of those free ones. oh also my girlfriend has frontpage (academic version), anyone had experience with this, perhaps i should go with this for my first attempt, ahh it all seems beyond me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2006, 12:28 PM

I just got Joomla installed and am having a lot of trouble with it so far. I can't get the template adjustments figured out on this. I need to change the words in the templates as well as the images.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:27 PM

Maxtower, was a niche decided on yet? I thought it might be a good learning experience to join in on this project, but I figured if the niche was something I knew nothing about, I would probably not bother.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:56 PM

So I've decided to use xsitepro to build my site. Is there anything particular I need to look for in a web host to use xsitepro?

I know there were some requirements for joomla that someone posted, but I'm a total noob and don't want to pick a host that ends up being sub-par.