Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 04:24 PM

Default Forum Project Step 2-3

Looks like you guys have already started Step2 (acquiring a domain+hosting for 1 year), so here is Step 3. You should have received an email about this, if not, let me know.

STEP 3:
Building a Site:
I am going to use Droopal or Joomla. I haven't decided which yet. If you are just going to do a simple blog, Wordpress is probably your best bet. I have used Wordpress and it is very slick. This is the Step 3 Q&A thread, so other experienced people can help me out. I don't want 10000 emails about this. Please post your questions into the Q&A thread, and if all else fails, then email me. Once you have one of these packages installed, start working on your content. I am going to be moving this weekend, and probably won't be able to setup my site for a few days after that. Once I have caught up to you guys, we'll move on to the promotion phase.

PS, should we move to another forum. I don't want to dominate this one, and I have had a couple offers from forum owners to use theirs.

Max
Old 11-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Forum Project Step 2-3

Ok, I'm having a problem already that illustrates the value that someone mentioned in choosing a webhost that offers Fantastico. I've spent a pretty big chunk of my day trying to get Drupal installed with my host, but I'm having an issue with one of the installation steps.

Basics for installing Drupal that I've gotten done so far:

1. Downloaded the most recent stable version in a zipped file (.gz) to my local machine
2. Used WinZip to extract the file into an unpacked folder
3. Used FTP to move all of the drupal files to the root public folder (www) of my site
4. Activated MySQL on my site and created a MySQL database.

Here's where I'm stuck. The next step in the drupal installation is to copy the structure of one of the drupal databases to the new MySQL database. My host's MySQL interface is web based and rudimentary at best, so to follow the drupal instructions I need to be able to run some basic commands on the server, which requires some form of telnet access. (I think, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

My host uses SSH (a secure form of Telnet) access, which they have enabled on my account. I am attempting to connect using a free SSH program called Putty, but it keeps telling me that the server is unexpectedly closing the network connection.

Can someone familiar w/ SSH and RSA Key authentication please give me a little help? PM me if you don't mind so we can keep from cluttering up everyone else's basic questions in this thread. If not I will continue trying to get answers from my hosting service.

Oh, by the way, Fantastico is a service that will automatically install programs like Drupal and Joomla to your site so you don't have to wade through the mountain of techno-babble I'm dealing with. I would recommend finding a host that offers it.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:13 PM

I have been playing w/joomla for the past few days now trying to figure it out. I have no experience w/html or php. I would like to know what useful templates other have found. I want a membership website where paying members get access to more content. I also want something to automate the payment process. Any suggestions?
Old 11-03-2006, 05:15 PM

We may be able to create a sub-forum for this project on 2+2 as well. I know that MTT Community did that for one of their big monthly TLB contests. Jurollo set it up before, so perhaps we can ask him or one of the Money Making mods to set it up. Basically have a sticky on this forum pointing to the sub-forum.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:39 PM

Hey Jay, I'm learning Joomla right now too. There are modules that supposedly automate checkout, but I haven't tried them out.

I haven't had much luck with the free templates on the net. There's a guy selling a pack of 165 templates on ebay for $10, I might end up buying those.

As far as the membership site, you're probably going to have to do some research on the joomla site. I doubt it'd be too tough. You just don't let people log in without paying you first, and make your premium content members only.

If there are a bunch of us using joomla for the first time we probably should start a new forum somewhere.

It seems that a lot of people are under the impression that you can learn joomla and have the site up in a day. It's pretty easy, but it does take a little bit of time, especially if you want it customized.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:28 PM

With regards to Drupal, my host has fantastico and it took about 5 seconds to install Drupal. You just tell it where give it some info and it's done. I am in the experimenting stage right now.

Pancho
Old 11-03-2006, 07:31 PM

Found this article which says that using Fantastico is not the way to install Drupal. You need to scroll to the bottom of the page to see the article.

http://www.hostlibrary.com/Fantastic...e_for_disaster

Can Drupal be used with all web hosts?

Also I just ordered the book called 'Drupal' by David Mercer. Anybody read it? It covers the installation process.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:53 PM

Just watched a video tutorial on installing Drupal on youtube.com. It may be of some help.

It's called 'Installing Drupal 4.7'
Old 11-03-2006, 08:13 PM

UncleSalty if money isn't an issue, why don't you buy some windows app that can interface with remote mysql databases? I use EMS SQL Manager for MySQL. There's probably free ones out there but I've had my copy forever. All i had to do was connect to an already created database and copy and paste the sql statements in the drupal installation guide to the app. It setup all the tables and permissions for me with no problems at all. If anyone else has a similar app maybe they can share in this thread what they use.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:18 PM

this mysql management software is under 50 bux for a license. I haven't used it though but the screenshots look great! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]