Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 09-28-2006, 10:40 AM

Default How many mistakes did I make with this set?

I played this hand the other day in a 2/5 NL live game. How many mistakes did I make? Should I have led out on the flop? Should I have check-called the turn? Check-folded? What do I do on the river? I had $500 in chips and the button had about $400.

It was my very first hand at the table and I posted the $5 from MP. I didn't know any of the other players at the table, no reads at all. No action to me, I had Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I checked. The button limped as did the blinds ($20 pot). The flop came Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB and BB checked to me, and I checked. The button bet $15, blinds folded, and I raised to $50. The button called ($120 pot). The turn was 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I bet $50, got called ($220 pot). The river was a 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I checked and the button moved in for $200. What do I do?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 AM

Default Re: How many mistakes did I make with this set?

Firstly, imo, you should not be posting in MP when you join the table anyway.... Just wait a couple hands, and watch the action around you before you play. Secondly, your C/R on the flop is good... but, ideally, you want him to fold here. The reason being is that very few hands will call you here, there is no draws on the flop, and you can't credit him with having and overpair having let the 3 of you see the flop for cheap. A decent average player, will have you dominated here, and he may have hit a boat while holding pocket 3s. Him smoothcalling the turn is troublesome, and imo implies more strength than a raise at this point. FInally the clubs don't particularly concern you although he might have backed into it... My advice.... without more information... fold here
Old 09-28-2006, 11:03 AM

I can't imagine anything he could have that you can beat. It looks a lot like a queen and he wasn't too proud of his kicker, but he suddenly decided it was OK. This could be because the 8c or 9c hit his kicker, or just because you showed weakness with a small bet on the turn and a check on the river.

I think he is bluffing way less often than the 30% you need to make this a good call, so just fold.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:16 AM

Default RESULT: How many mistakes did I make with this set?

So I made the very stupid mistake of calling. To my shock he turned over A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the nut flush. Well, I'm the donk who called on the end. Why he decided to play the hand like this I have no idea. But again, I made a very bad call here. I was mostly interested in your perspectives on the flop and turn action, which is maybe a little obvious anyway.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:22 AM

Since it is so transparent what you have and he is pushing into you, I would fold.

He has a full house here like always.

EDIT: I didn't read "I played this hand the other day in a 2/5 NL live game."

I would fold river anyways, but jesus AKs? lololol
Old 09-28-2006, 11:23 AM

you should have raised a little more on the flop...

turn that was a weakass bet... you're giving him great odds to draw...
Old 09-28-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Re: RESULT: How many mistakes did I make with this set?

1) don't post, just wait for the BB
2) pot the flop
3) bet $90 on the turn
4) check/fold river, he almost always has at least a Q and you have no kicker
Old 09-28-2006, 01:09 PM

Default Re: RESULT: How many mistakes did I make with this set?

By the way, I disagree with everybody who is saying you should wait until your blind or just after the button passes to post in a NL live game. I would agree if the game is one that you play regularly and they already know you, but not if you are the newcomer. Sure, you're giving up about half a BB in equity, but what you gain in image is worth it. First impressions last longest, and people notice when someone posts in bad position because he is too impatient to get into the action. They will immediately assume you are a calling station, allowing you to make some good laydowns.

Ummm, unless you ARE a loose fish, in which case you do NOT want the others to form that impression of you.