Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Help me pick an NBA team

Taking an example from hockey, there are national or regional considerations in sports sometimes. Footy fans over in Europe will recognize this too. America, not so much.

When the Leafs get knocked out or don't qualify for the playoffs, with the exception of Ottawa, which is a politician's town. Ugly freaking logos and arena too, but eh. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I root for Canadian teams to bring the Cup home. I'm sure most fans in the UK thought of "You'll never walk alone" when the Scousers brought the silver home over AC Milan. That was an awesome match to watch.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:26 PM

First of all, Charlie Villenueva is not a monster. In fact, I doubt he is any better than a 15ppg/9rpg guy.

I think I get the point of your post. I think what you are looking for is a team with an interesting dynamic, that plays the game well, that has good player personalities (e.g., fun, but not deplorable like the Blazers), and that will probably be a contender to go deep into the playoffs.

The Chicago Bulls are going to be a great team this year. I don't know if they will be as fun to watch as the Phoenix Suns (who will be 65 wins good if Stoudamaire comes back healthy), but they will play solid, energetic basketball on both sides of the court. Their back court is young and aggressive - both Heinrich and Gordon can get into the paint, Heinrich plays great perimeter defensive. Andrew Noicioni is going to be a stud this year, Ben Wallace will play super defense. You got Tyrus Thomas coming off the bench; look for him to make some fun athletic plays during the year. Chicago will have some great games against the Cavs and Pistons; they will probably tangle with one of these teams in the playoffs and probably create a good 6 game or great 7 game series with either one. Good bench too. My first choice.

Phoenix you can't go wrong with, you should know why by now.

If Rudy Gay is as good as I think he is, take Memphis in two years (assuming they keep Gasol and get another star).

A'
Old 09-25-2006, 04:19 PM

ewwww bulls are so built for the regular season it's awful. who is their best player? deng? 1, they don't start a true point guard, and 2, they have no good offensive post players... two things which are VERY important for end-game and playoff basketball.

to the OP...if you are going to pick the wizards, please do it only because of location. their role players (hayes, haywood, daniels) are unbelievably weak, and this team has peaked IMO.

the pistons, cavs, heat, and nets are still better than the wiz, while teams like the bulls, magic, and bucks were close last year and improving a lot.

just me two cents.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:50 PM

GKA,

I wholly support your new avatar.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I root for Canadian teams to bring the Cup home. I'm sure most fans in the UK thought of "You'll never walk alone" when the Scousers brought the silver home over AC Milan. That was an awesome match to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ewwww bulls are so built for the regular season it's awful. who is their best player? deng? 1, they don't start a true point guard, and 2, they have no good offensive post players... two things which are VERY important for end-game and playoff basketball.

to the OP...if you are going to pick the wizards, please do it only because of location. their role players (hayes, haywood, daniels) are unbelievably weak, and this team has peaked IMO.

the pistons, cavs, heat, and nets are still better than the wiz, while teams like the bulls, magic, and bucks were close last year and improving a lot.

just me two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mavs didn't start a true point guard the past two years, and they have been doing just fine.

Heinrich is going into his 4th year; no, he doesn't have the apg, but he has all the intangibles - good court awareness, good leadership up the court, defense, scoring ability. I think his assists will improve. Gordon has more upside left; Deng and Niocioni are still young and showed glimpses of becoming big time scorers.

the bulls also have scott skiles and I think it will be interesing to see what he does with players who are starting to full mature and the veteran leadership of wallace.

the bulls are not going to make it to the conference finals or the NBA finals; however, they will do very well in the 2nd round against whomever the play this year. Could be a nice pick.

Wizards, on the other hand, a terrible pick.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:06 AM

Phoenix Suns if you want to enjoy watching your team play.
Orlando if you want a startup team that you can follow for the next decade (assuming management doesn't blow it, which is a big assumption).
Bulls.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:29 AM

Dallas or Phoenix

Both play the same style as the Run TMC Warriors and are 10x as fun to watch as grind-it-out teams.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:56 PM

You might give heavier consideration to teams in Washington's division, so you'll be able to see more of their games live.

-McGee