Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Which Bluff(s) Worked?

Well, I'm playing so I'll try and make some quick comments...

Hand 1: You seem to be betting a larger amount than what seems normal for a good/strong hand. There are no draws out and it looks like you want to put him to a tougher decision by calling bigger bets.

Hand 2: Boosted has a wide rr range, esp. from a LP opener, so on the flop he cbets to take it down, and then he c/c turn, which seems like he has a questionable hand with some type of overcards/straight draw (with a Q). I think he plays a semi strong to strong hand a lot more aggressively.

Hand 3: It looks like a steal on the flop after he weak leads into a decent field on a drawy flop and so after he calls, and you check behind the turn, it looks more so like a steal though I can see a draw doing this as well, but then when the flush hits on the river, he's like, "well, he may have been on a steal, and this is a perfect card to try and take it away from me on, so I call". Plus, he very well, could have a flush or straight himself.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:17 PM

triumph-

hand #2's bet was intentionally sized that way.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okay and krantz- if u dont mind, id still love to hear comments about hand #3 with the new edit.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah. well, i think most average unknown players might lead the river with an overpair or flush after the turn got checked through, so they might have Tx and then fold to your bet. although unknowns sometimes surprise me with good lines.

but i'm still erring on the side of they're going to call you, mainly because you checked the turn and the pot was kept as small as possible for whatever hand they have. IMO, if you're going to raise this flop with air (against an unknown) and don't pick up any backdoor outs or a pair on the turn, you need to follow through on the turn or give up the bluff.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:34 PM

I like the first two. Third one is meh. Villain seems more like a fish than a TAG f/ his bet size.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the first two. Third one is meh. Villain seems more like a fish than a TAG f/ his bet size.

[/ QUOTE ]

i duno how much party you play lately, but lolo started programming his bets like that with AHK and i think there are a couple of copycats out there. so i wouldn't put too much stock in the bet size amt.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i duno how much party you play lately, but lolo started programming his bets like that with AHK and i think there are a couple of copycats out there. so i wouldn't put too much stock in the bet size amt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking abt the pennies but the fact that he bets 1/3 pot into 2 players on the flop.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:42 PM

good point
Old 09-14-2006, 09:05 PM

interesting concept for a post. obviously, these are all highly situation dependent. dissecting the hands in a vacuum, here are some thoughts:

your story in hand 1 doesn't add up to a big hand. and any hand with showdown value against villain's range would likely be checked behind on the river. so your firing on the river smells a lot like a bluff, unless you are prone to super thin value bets.

in hand 2, i think you have the potential to push villain off a better hand, but i think your bet size seems a little to small. i would put in about 2400-2500 at least, and villain has a hard time calling this without a jack or better. against a villain is who is capable of over analyzing the situation, your small bet could work.

on hand 3 river is a good scare card, so there is a chance this one can work against most hands in villain's range except tt. but it only costs him 1250 to call, so it's a toss up.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your story in hand 1 doesn't add up to a big hand. and any hand with showdown value against villain's range would likely be checked behind on the river. so your firing on the river smells a lot like a bluff, unless you are prone to super thin value bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant ever have a set or two pair or maybe AK here?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool post.

Hand 1: I really think he has AQ (maybe AK) or better and you are getting called. You raised UTG and he's been giving you respect, I think he's pitching most weaker aces from OOP.

Hand 2: He 3-bets a lot and ya'll are deep but I just give this one up preflop. Boring I know. I'd probably just check the river but I think if I bet I'd bet a lot more.

Hand 3: I like this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agree.