Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 PM

Default C/T post: Tips for multitabling

Tips for Multitabling

One of the best parts of online poker is the ability to play pretty much as many tables as you can play at any given time. For some players, that’s only 2 tables, for some maniacs, its <10. Anyone who has yet to multitable, I highly suggest doing it. It is a rewarding experience and can make your winrate skyrocket. Here are some tips that I have learned through the years about multitabling, which probably are general metagame tips as well.

THE PREGAME

Your physical area - In order to play effectively, first make sure that your surrounding physical area is in good condition.

• Keeping it clean is almost a must, as it will distract many. A mess on the floor, some cups next to the comp can provide a major distraction, one you cant afford.
• Chair - Get yourself a comfortable chair. Not too comfortable as to you will fall asleep, but not uncomfortable so that you it’s a distraction.
• Computer- The heart and soul of your operation.
o Mouse- a good, dependable ergonomic mouse helps a lot
o Monitor- I was never one to believe that a nice monitor made a difference, until I got one. A 20.1 LCD with 1600 x 1200 resolution is your best bet, so probably get either a Samsung 204B/T, or a Dell 2001 or 2007. Prefereably more than one
o Internet- Make sure that your high speed modem is in no danger of a hardware disconnection
o Headphones- Get a nice pair, one that will cancel out most background noise. SONY makes a nice pair for about 50, sold at major electronics chains.
• Other- I like to bring in a bottle to my office before I play, maybe more than one if its gonna be a long session. Also too, a chair of stool to put your feet on is nice. I have a padded armpad to rest my elbow on, and it makes a difference. I also have small post it notes around to remind myself of little things, such as “Don’t do stupid things, don’t bluff call stations, etc.” Also, I keep an outs chart around, just incase I ever forgot. Its also a good thing to have so you can memorize for B/M play.

More Computer - While we outlined what to set up in terms of the physical area, lets talk about the computer itself.
• Software- The first thing I do when Im getting ready to play is open up the required software
o Pokertracker- Get the auto import for your site rocking.
o PokerAce HUD- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THIS. With multitabling it helps a lot more than you think. Open it up.
o iTunes (or other media player)- Make yourself a playlist, so you aren’t messing around with it during the games. Pick music that wont distract you, and will help you concentrate. Classical works, as does showtunes, or other weird music.
• Also too, close the following software
o AIM- Distraction city
o IE- 2p2 is fun, but not while playing
• As a general PSA, also make sure of the following
o Your AV is working and updated, and run regularly
o You have a copy of Microsoft defender, Spybot, Ad- aware, and crap cleaner. Run them about once a week. Being hijacked will dent your BR worse than you can imagine.
• Table Selection- If your site allows datamining, DATAMINE!. Open up the max tables, and then after about 10 mins, see which look the juiciest. I always look for the ones with the highest VPIP and lowest PFR, or if there appears to be a megafish. Sit or get on the list

THE GAME
So you are ready and set up. Here are some general pointers.
• Pay attention.
• If you find yourself timing out, drop a table.
• Don’t think just because you are playing more tables its ok to pass up EV. Don’t forget about stealing and LP raises. They are still important.
• TAKE NOTES.
• Try to minimize overlap
• Keep all distractions out
• When you find yourself playing sub optimally, take a break. It will help.
• Play good

POST GAME
Afterwards, analyze your session. Look for dumb bets, and messed bets. Make sure that adding the tables has helped you and not hurt you. If you find that you are doing well, but feel bored, try adding more tables. But only if it will help your win rate.

Best of luck to all

EMcWilliams
Old 06-16-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Re: C/T post: Tips for multitabling

Great post Ed.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:28 PM

Very good post, as i'm starting to MT now some very useful tips in there.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:37 PM

this is very off topic, but what kind of job do you have that allows you to play at the office?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is very off topic, but what kind of job do you have that allows you to play at the office?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure he means office as in office room in his house where his computer is, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:42 PM

gd_river is your boss, don't answer, and delete cookies/history/anything that links you to 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 06-16-2006, 01:45 PM

E,

VNH sir! What show tunes are you listening to? Oklahoma, Carousel or Fiddler on the Roof? I think I am missing something important.

BTW - I have the B-way versions of Les Miserables, How to Succeed in Business Without Trying, Guys and Dolls and Tommy. Highly recommend Guys and Dolls if you do not already own it.

Curiously,

Frank
Old 06-16-2006, 01:48 PM

Yeah I was wondering what music you were listening to. Personally, I like more modern stuff, but you're right...the harder rock and rap and stuff can be a bit too upbeat. My favorite current music to play to is the Garden State Soundtrack. Nirvana Unplugged is also an all time favorite. Really I just love the music I can be enjoying while playing without distracting me.

Curiously,
Doug

PS - Where'd Joe go?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:48 PM

Oh, forgot to say great post EMC! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]