Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-26-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: 17 way chop - was it a good decision

i agree, everyone else would be extremely pissed with you (probably) if you didnt chop the second time around.... also it probably wasnt worth wasting ur time sticking around/ gambooling if you could take 4th place money right then and there
Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM

Would be somewhat amusing to try to bargain for a little bit more in the chop since your stack was larger and everyone was so interested in doing it.

Being the only holdout definitely sucks.
But if it was just a situation of whether you took bad value by accepting a chop the answer is almost certainly yes...although this depends on the payout structure, where the button is, how long until the blinds move up again and how much they move up...etc etc.
In other words, there actually isn't enough information given to 100% accurately determine if the chop was a good idea.

If you were going to be in the BB in a couple hands and the blinds were going to move up to 25k-50k before it got to you then chopping was obviously a good idea.

But in most situations and making assumptions on the payout structure and how quickly the blinds are moving up I think you made a bad decision value-wise to accept the chop.

Just because the largest stack has 7 BB's and it's a shove-fest doesn't mean you have to knock yourself out first if you keep playing. All those short-stacks are going to be dropping out REALLY damn fast.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:25 PM

They will be dropping out really damn fast, but it only takes one bad hand for you to be in jeopardy. The only thing I could say is never play in this tourney again. That is a terrible structure. With 5 BBs, it is unlikely that you would make it to 4th place. With one more ante raise and you are still back to square one.

I call it a good chop and a bad deal.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:37 PM

That's an awful lot of people who let themselves get pretty short by not taking the fast structure into account...

I mean if you're going to play a small buy-in tourney in the 1st place, you might as well play it down a little further, at least to the final table. You paid the juice and spent a couple hours of your time, so it's not as if this is really a strictly EV-based decision anyway. You could distribute the prize money by stack size, which would be a little more fair but more a pain in the ass. It's not like your ever going to explain ChipEV to that kind of crowd so forget that idea.

But, if everyone else wants to chop, then hey chop it up and don't waste your time on that nonsense tournament anymore.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM

A 17 way chop had to have some form of the Abilene paradox involved.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:04 PM

I hate that people get so offended when you won't chop... it's like dude I don't play for 4th place money I'm playing for first place money! Blah /rant
Old 11-26-2007, 05:15 PM

"don't waste your time on that nonsense tournament anymore."

For some reason I am in disagreement with the majority opinion about this issue.
Depending on the juice, etc etc I think these turbo-type tourneys can be extremely profitable against a bunch of players who have no idea how to adjust.

Live, low buy-in type tourneys are going to have fast-ish structures no matter what. Everyone wants super deep-stack, long-structure tourneys even if it's only a $50 buy-in but that just isn't very realistic.
The players in these can be so spectacularly bad and fail to adjust for the structure that I have to imagine they can be extremely profitable if the juice isn't awful.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For some reason I am in disagreement with the majority opinion about this issue.
Depending on the juice, etc etc I think these turbo-type tourneys can be extremely profitable against a bunch of players who have no idea how to adjust.

Live, low buy-in type tourneys are going to have fast-ish structures no matter what. Everyone wants super deep-stack, long-structure tourneys even if it's only a $50 buy-in but that just isn't very realistic.
The players in these can be so spectacularly bad and fail to adjust for the structure that I have to imagine they can be extremely profitable if the juice isn't awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Juice is only $5 of the $25 buy in.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm headed out to Vegas in a couple weeks and am going to be playing some of these cheap tournaments with bad structures. What are the proper adjustments to make?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 PM

I don't think you should chop here. If you are the only hold-out, why not at least wait until a few more people are eliminated or you are down to the final table? You are in very little danger of being one of the next few out as long as you don't do anything stupid. I would try to accumulate chips against the smaller stacks, and if someone doubles through me and I get short, then I agree to the chop.