Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 03:38 AM

Default AK in r/r pot vs. J turn

Home Game
.25/.50 blinds - $20 buyin

NOTE: Stacks are really deep here for our home game. It's a screwy structure, but it's how it goes here. Thus, the 150bb stacks are VERY deep. It's 2am and we're playing the last orbit of the night.

Villain is super-laggy. He's not an idiot though, but attacks me a lot because of my tight image.

Here's the hand:

Hero (BB): ($75)
Villain (BTN): Covers ($90ish)

Down to 4 players....

Hero is dealt: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB
BTN limps in for .50
SB checks
Hero raises to $2
BTN raises to $7
SB folds
Hero calls

Flop: ($16) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks (going for a c/r)
Villain checks behind

Turn: ($16) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets $10
Villain raises to $35
Hero ???

<font color="blue">
Ok, so it's a reraised pot, and I hit my TPTK. On the flop I'm going for a c/r, since villain initiated the 3bet. I'd say his 3bet range preflop is around 99-AA, AK, AQ. Very unlikely he has the 3 or 8 here given my history with him.

So, he checks behind on the flop. Hmm. I'm not sure how often villain would take a stab here with TT-KK - he might check behind, he might bet. I honestly don't know.

Now, I lead the turn and he raises. The jack is a gross-gross card.

I figure: TT/QQ/KK probably don't raise here.
AK, AQ, and JJ definitely raise here.

What's your play? If I just call here, I only have $33 left in something like an $86 pot. Just get it all in, right?
</font>
Old 11-17-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Re: AK in r/r pot vs. J turn

I think you should have bet the turn more like 14$ since the turns brings straight and flush draws.
His raise puts you in a real harsh position. It's basically push or fold, if you call off that much you are committed.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:14 AM

would he ever check the flop with Ax?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would he ever check the flop with Ax?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I'm not completely sure. This is the main question I was trying to ask myself at the table.

He's definitely a trappy player, and like most bad lags likes to slow-play his big hands. However, when it comes to re-raised pots, I think most people play a little more straightforward and would bet the flop here with Ax.

Because the board is so drawy on the turn now, pretty much all Ax hands have to raise, in addition to JJ.

The sick part here is pokerstove says I'm way behind a range of AK/JJ and way ahead of AK/AQ/JJ. Ugh.

It might also be worth mentioning that he loves to slow play AA/KK, and almost never re-reraises them preflop, so AA is pretty unlikely here.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:26 AM

I would have liked to lead into him on that flop, and see how he reacts. based on your description of his play if he came back at me on the flop, I'd consider going to the felt with him. As played, I don't know if this is a personal thing, but once I give up the initiative and the other guy gets aggressive, I don't like fighting for the pot too much. In this hand I don't really know what he has, but my gut is telling me to fold. I think he's telling the truth that the jack helped him, and he's holding AJ or JJ. Not sure if that's his exact holding, but I really think he's got a hand here.

As far as the plays, you're correct. It's either all the way or nothing here. Shove it in or let it go.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:31 AM

Would he limp-rr with Ax? That's the question I'd be asking myself. I realize it's three handed, but a limp-rr like that screams a hand that he's afraid to just pick up the blinds with. If it were online against fish I would expect to see AA here 80% of the time as played.

I'd sit there and talk to him, try to pick up a better read. Without a better read I fold and try to get him to show his cards.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would he limp-rr with Ax? That's the question I'd be asking myself. I realize it's three handed, but a limp-rr like that screams a hand that he's afraid to just pick up the blinds with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a pretty good point. I think he'd be a lot more likely to just raise with AK/AQ rather than limp-reraise it.

I almost never see this guy reraise preflop. He flat calls with AA/KK almost everytime. Of course, this time it's sort of a blind battle, so who knows what he's planning.