Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Mark Blade\'s book(s)

i think fischmanns book has more value than the Blades one, at least for someone new to poker.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i read this up until the point he made some ridiculous claim about 10 buyins been a good bankroll for NL cash or similar (dont remember exact details) and then just stopped. It was faily basic up until that point as far as i remember...

[/ QUOTE ]
His book suggests 15 BI for an expert, 20 BI for merely "great" players, and 30 BI for "good to very good" which doesnt seem like bad advice. But other than that, this book lacks any good information on NLHE.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The book has nothing and I mean NOTHING on poker strategy and is basically a book on getting prepared to be a pro.(wow!) If you need information on how much bankroll you need, odds charts, dealing with bad beats, what other books you need to read,

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you expect? It's called "Professional Poker: The Essential Guide to Playing for a Living." Every single review as well as the book title and description indicate that the book will be exactly what it is.

If you still couldn't figure it out, that's your fault, not Mark Blade's. The book is excellent. Your criticism of it is ridiculous and your certainty and sarcasm make you look like an idiot.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Agreed.

Blade's book and Greenstein's shouldn't be about strategy and charts/odds - but on how to deal with playing for a living. If you intend to go pro, it should be assumed that you are a reasonably good enough player and you have the strategy down (at least from other books).

One of the biggest obstacles is managing psychological issues such as tilt and bankroll, etc...
Old 11-15-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i read this up until the point he made some ridiculous claim about 10 buyins been a good bankroll for NL cash or similar (dont remember exact details) and then just stopped. It was faily basic up until that point as far as i remember...

[/ QUOTE ]
His book suggests 15 BI for an expert, 20 BI for merely "great" players, and 30 BI for "good to very good" which doesnt seem like bad advice. But other than that, this book lacks any good information on NLHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about Blade's book or Fischman's book?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is one of the most useless poker books I have ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that you do not elucidate, I find your post to be pretty useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh im sorry, i didn't know I had to elucidate myself in every single post on here.....well here goes.....

The book has nothing and I mean NOTHING on poker strategy and is basically a book on getting prepared to be a pro.(wow!) If you need information on how much bankroll you need, odds charts, dealing with bad beats, what other books you need to read, and shameless plugs of his so called up and coming books in almost every chapter, then this is your book.

For those who are actually interested in improving their poker, this book is useless .

this book is for people who haven't the slightest idea on the game and who have probably never bought a poker book in their lives.

Let me know if this is enough for you, if not ill "elucidate" some more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the elucidation and your criticism of the book is not valid. It is not a book to teach you how to play, but a book on how to prepare to play for a living.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The book has nothing and I mean NOTHING on poker strategy and is basically a book on getting prepared to be a pro.(wow!) If you need information on how much bankroll you need, odds charts, dealing with bad beats, what other books you need to read,

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you expect? It's called "Professional Poker: The Essential Guide to Playing for a Living." Every single review as well as the book title and description indicate that the book will be exactly what it is.

If you still couldn't figure it out, that's your fault, not Mark Blade's. The book is excellent. Your criticism of it is ridiculous and your certainty and sarcasm make you look like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

the book is called "Professional Poker" The essential guide for playing for a living" when the majority of its content doesn't even resemble anything professional, just basic common sense.

If you think this book is excellent then you havent read enough poker books.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:04 PM

One problem that comes up when one has read a great deal of poker literature is that the more one reads, the more one reads things they've already read before.

Blade's book is great if one is new to poker books or message boards but can seem repetitive to those who are well read in the field.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the book is called "Professional Poker" The essential guide for playing for a living" when the majority of its content doesn't even resemble anything professional, just basic common sense.

If you think this book is excellent then you havent read enough poker books.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a strategy guide, it's about everything else that goes into being a pro. There are many ways you could have figured this out. If you don't care about that, fine, then don't read the book. What you can't do is invent a purpose for it and then get mad when it doesn't deliver. Your complaint is like saying that reading HPFAP didn't improve your seven-card stud game as much as you wanted.

I've read a ton of books, and this is one of the better ones. I believe Mason Malmuth gave it a 9. I guess he hasn't read enough poker books either.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:28 PM

Figured it out? This book hasn't anything to do with "Professional Poker", only getting prepared to be a pro, which anyone with some common sense should know how to do (or figure out on their own). Like you said, this book delivers nothing on poker strategy and that's why I said it's one of the most useless poker books I have ever read and I stick to it.

This book is neither "professional" or "essential" like it says in its title and how you can say that it delivers what it intended is quite laughable.

This book should have been called "Getting prepared to play poker for beginners".

If you thought it was a great book then fine, im not going to harp on this.

cheers.