Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-16-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Basic Sit \'n Go Questions Answered Here

CleanUpMan, I like Office because it is the easiest to get started with and interface is more user-friendly. PT is a great program as well, and yes, I would highly recommend you get at least one tracking program because of the significant edge they offer in reading opponents.

Boise123, I would check the STTF FAQ where I think there's a pretty thorough answer to the ROI question. The SNG player will have a better understanding of pre-flop dynamics, but the cash/tournament player will usually have a more refined post-flop game and be much keener on late-street analysis.

Arp220, I would try to find the lowest rake possible. I give a table showing how crucial the rake is for long-term profits in SNG Strategy ... at this level, your competition should be pretty soft at most sites, so concentrate on minimizing the rake. (Once you build your roll a little, for example, definitely check out the Stars $15+1's, an incredible rake deal for the low-mid stakes player.) And yes, generally you should make at least a small raise with your premium hands during lategame play. The main exception is when an opponent one or two to your left is hyper-aggressive and you think he will come over top very widely. Getting called bad names at the poker table, BTW, is usually a sign you're doing something right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-- Collin
Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 PM

Do you know what range Sharkscope uses to divide "Lo/Med/Hi" stakes?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM

Very useful, thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2007, 10:45 PM

Collin,

I would like to start the $15+1 sng's, but my patient style gets killed in turbos. What changes should I make to my game due to the rapidly increasing blinds and loose no fold'em players? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:36 AM

Collin, or anyone else, what's your general take on 45 man sng's.

1. Are they worth the time
2. At what point do you start to treat it like an SNG as opposed to an MTT
Old 11-03-2007, 03:02 PM

I'm missing something basic. Where is Low / Mid / High Blind defined? I've roughly been using M factors (ratio of my stack to blinds & antes) of >20 for Low, 20-10 for Mid, and <10 for Low. Should I use different ratios, or factor in something else, like number of remaining players? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:47 AM

Look at the blind structure for the first hour. Chop that into 3 sections of 20 minutes. The last 20 minutes for example are high blinds and antes. Best of luck.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM

colin,

In your book you often make statements such as " in this situation you can play hands like Qh9h" or "in this situation hands like Qh9h should be folded".

How do i find out which hands are equivalent to those hands mentioned in your examples? For example is K8o weaker or stronger?

And are you referring to the type of hand (i.e suited 2 gapper) or according to some ranking system i.e grouped hands in HEFAP or the sklansky - chubakov rankings?

I've only just started reading the book, and it is giving me loads to think about. I like a lot of the material in there, and i think once i can get my hand around which hands are of comparative strength and why i will understand it a lot more.

Thanks
DB.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM

youbobAA, your tight game should still work well in very loose games. Just make sure that when you do hit a hand you bet it very aggressively for value (since these guys who won't fold can be exploited by coming in with big bets when you do make a hand). Then just make sure you're making good lategame decisions, taking into account that you may be called fairly wide. If you have a specific hand/situation in mind, feel free to post.

timmay, 45-man games with 5 tables are just like multi-tables with a limited number of entrants, so they're good if you have decent MTT skills. I don't play a lot of these to be honest, so if anyone who specializes in multi-table SNGs wants to chime in I'd appreciate your feedback on these games.

SodaSurfer, to give one more example on low/mid/high, in a current Stars SNG 10-20 and 15-30 are low, 25-50 and 50-100 are mid, and 75-150 and higher are high. The distinction isn't black-and-white, just a helpful guideline to think about the different stages of SNG gameplay. If you have questions on another structure, let me know and we can analyze it.

dirty banana2007, statements like that are fairly qualitative as you point out, but if you want to quantify them just use your S-C rankings or the ones on PokerStove to get a good idea. Is there a particular hand you're thinking of?

OK guys, have a good one,
Collin
Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 AM

Default hand history, AA with nut flush draw to an all in

I just couldn't lay this one down even though I may have been against a flush. Turned out to be a set. It turned out to be about the same pot odds to call and to win. What do you think, Collin? Should I have laid this down? Anyone out there could have gotten away?

PokerStars Game Tournament $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2007/11/23 - 19:56:53 (ET)
Table 1' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: knottoworr (1350 in chips)
Seat 2: malibucheeks (2350 in chips)
Seat 3: imprezza911 (1400 in chips)
Seat 4: StoneCareMan (895 in chips)
Seat 5: 2 of 2 Cats (2365 in chips)
Seat 7: Joba Rulez (1590 in chips)
Seat 8: Hero(1630 in chips)
Seat 9: DCrollin (1920 in chips)
Joba Rulez: posts small blind 15
t2wowheeler: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero[Ad As]
DCrollin: folds
knottoworr: folds
malibucheeks: folds
imprezza911: folds
StoneCareMan: calls 30
2 of 2 Cats: calls 30
Joba Rulez: calls 15
t2wowheeler: raises 150 to 180
StoneCareMan: folds
2 of 2 Cats: calls 150
Joba Rulez: folds
*** FLOP *** [Kd Jd 5d]
t2wowheeler: bets 300
2 of 2 Cats: raises 1885 to 2185 and is all-in
t2wowheeler: calls 1150 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [Kd Jd 5d] [Th]
*** RIVER *** [Kd Jd 5d Th] [7c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
t2wowheeler: shows [Ad As] (a pair of Aces)
2 of 2 Cats: shows [5c 5s] (three of a kind, Fives)
Herosaid, "vn"
2 of 2 Cats collected 3320 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3320 | Rake 0
Board [Kd Jd 5d Th 7c]
Seat 1: knottoworr folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: malibucheeks folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: imprezza911 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: StoneCareMan folded before Flop
Seat 5: 2 of 2 Cats (button) showed [5c 5s] and won (3320) with three of a kind, Fives
Seat 7: Joba Rulez (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Hero(big blind) showed [Ad As] and lost with a pair of Aces
Seat 9: DCrollin folded before Flop (didn't bet)