Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 AM

Default FTP 8/16: Value bet river?

Normally I have a good idea of whether to bet these types of rivers based upon who is left in the hand but this was my first orbit so and I didn't have any reads at all and wasn't sure what a good default line was. If you bet river and are raised would you call or fold? Comments on other streets are welcome.

Full Tilt Poker, $8/$16 Limit Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players

Pre-Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="red">BTN raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls

Turn: (8.5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
SB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, BTN folds, SB calls, UTG calls, MP2 folds

River: (11.5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero ???
Old 10-04-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Re: FTP 8/16: Value bet river?

Checks.

The range of hands you're beating that may call a bet is teeny tiny. Little value. The only way I would bet this is if I thought that both of the other players may have an ace and I might be able to fold out one that won't overcall and then chop it two instead of three ways.

Of course, this is a much easier spot once you have some reads. I would fold to a c/r. Really not beating anything then.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 AM

Flop: easy call on odds.

Turn: you are way behind against another ace but way ahead any other pair. Bet for value and to protect against FDs &amp; smaller pairs.

River: Better aces aren't very likely. AT-AQ would probably have raised the turn in this big-ish multiway pot and likewise we'd have heard from AK preflop. Without reads it's hard to say would the villains call with something like T9, J9, 88 - an overcall with those holdings is probably out of the question.

I'd bet. Given the turn I'm not very worried about a c/r from a better ace or a bluff c/r either: the river card is no scarecard to anyone here and thus not likely prompt a bluff. I think we can extract more value from hopefully getting crying calls (with a small pocket pair or 9) than we'd end up losing paying a better ace or something weird like a set.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 AM

ah, the FTP 8/16. that game doesn't go nearly often enough.

i would bet the river not expecting to get raised very often at all.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM

i probably wouldve defaulted to check river since i have no idea what these 2 people have. calling flop is questionable.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
calling flop is questionable.

[/ QUOTE ]
We have 4 outs to a gutshot, and an ace as an overcard. The pot is paying like 15 to one.

As for the river, I'd bet it and fold to a raise. Seems to be a small amount of value there IMO.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i probably wouldve defaulted to check river since i have no idea what these 2 people have. calling flop is questionable.

[/ QUOTE ]

learn how to read hands and how to determine pot odds.

folding this flop is terrible.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:19 AM

since the button folded, it seems unlikely to me that you're beat (only possibility is AT really). i bet expecting to chop but also knowing that people will make bad river calls here given the pot size.