Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Predisposition to liking things

I like every type of music except country ldo.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like every type of music except country ldo.

[/ QUOTE ] I share these sentiments, but with a caveat. I like older country stuff (Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, some of the Grateful Dead's stuff could fall under this category as well). The more recent stuff (last 20 years or so) has been absolute drivel. Honkey-tonk Badonkadonk? Lol givemeafuckinbreakaments.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:54 PM

I definitely respect this attitude, but there's a huge difference between enjoying new things when they happen and actively seeking them out. lots of people I have met say they like every type of music, but they really mean western music, usually some variant of pop,rock,jazz,classical and hip hop.

far fewer in number are the people who actually check out sufi chanting, gamelan, raga, etc.

basically what I'm saying is that it's easy to say you like all different types of food when all you've ever eaten are potatos. I am not saying this about the post I'm responding to or anyone in this thread, just as a generalization.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just find it unusual that i could take a menu from any top restaurant in any country, things like Per Se, Nobu, whatever, and order any dish on the menu, and i would be at least very content. But it seems like not everyone is like this for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was staying with a friend in Manhattan and we did a thing where every meal we ate was a different county's cuisine. It was awesome, we went something like 3 straight weeks. We got some of our picky eating friends to eat stuff they never would have.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 PM

I would guess its just about attitude.

Kids are real finnicky eaters. They're impatient and close-minded. Generally speaking, adults are more patient and willing to try things. Adult diets have far more variety . I know taste buds change (develop?) etc. but I notice this among people I know too - the fastidious are just picky and set.

I am generally adventurous, relaxed, open-minded, and patient. Can't even think of a foodstuff I don't like.

edit: I do think its almost all cultural. M is 16 and in Nicaragua this summer. She got there and hated gayapinto and platano frito, rice and beans and fried plantain. After a few weeks she's grown to like them as the family she's with cannot afford her anything else and has grown to love pandulce, a Nicaraguan bread treat, and the indigenous fruits and veggies including a squash-like vegetable and some bittersweet fruit that is totally new to her. I can't imagine spoiled American kids I know ever liking gayapinto, except maybe the vegetarians.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:40 PM

as far as food goes.. im extremely picky, though i have been trying to come off it. generally, when i go to a restaraunt, i order the same thing every place, and it usually consists of steak and potatoes, or if its chinese mongolian beef and chicken fried rice. i do really appreciate an excellent cut/prepared steak, and absolutely hate a bad fatty cut of beef.

as far as more refined food, i feel like i can definitely taste the difference in finer foods, but not enough to enjoy it more than i would just enjoy a good steak or something. im not sure why that is. my parents brought me up with a very healthy, diverse diet. lots of grilled chicken dishes, fish, steamed rice, low salt low fat foods. i enjoy eating healthier as i feel better, but i dno.. i never really can branch out and order anything on the menu and enjoy it. i dont really eat any vegetables at all. i dont like salad. i eat fruit but only occasionally and for the most part its apples/bananas/strawberries. i take vitamins for the nutrients, but its not the same. hopefully eventually my taste buds will evolve or whatever, but for now im meat and potatoes kinda guy.

as far as music.. i really do like everything. john coltrane one minute to 2pac the next, johnny cash to pearl jam, i like just about everything. though.. most of the newer country music sucks. i just kinda rambled here, gotta catch a flight.. will prob have lots to say on this back in texas.