Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 07:05 AM

Default Turbo 6-seaters: General advice thread

Being a long time Pokerstars full ring sng'er, I have just switched to Interpokers 6-seaters. And somewhat surprisingly I am having a really hard time adjusting to the smaller starting stacks, faster blinds and generally softer opponents.

In short about the Interpoker 6-seater turbos:

Payout: 65/35
Starting stack 1000
Blinds increase every six hands
Blind structure as follows: 7/15, 15/30, 25/50, 50/100, 75/150, 100/200, 150/300, 200/400

In this thread I would love to discuss various strategic possibilities with the 6-seaters. Especially on how to adjust to a faster structure and weaker opponents.

First of all:

Should we be more inclined to "shoot for first" in a turbo 6-seater, given that the payout structure is 65/35 than in a full ring sng? If yes, how do we go about that?

--------

Starting hands requirements obviously goes down in a 6-seater. But with how much in the early stages?

Q1: What do we do with AJo utg in blind level two with a 1000 stack. We have yet to enter a pot, and the action have been pretty loose-passive first level?

Q2: What do we do with AQo on the btn with an open from unknown early position? We all roughly have our starting stacks.

----------

When do we start to get aggressive, and how do we go about it?

Q3: What if we have 900 in chips and blinds have just turned to 50/100. How aggressive should we be from the button if folded to us? What about the CO? What if we only had 750 in chips

--------

What do we do with middle pairs or medium aces in an opened pot in the middle stages?

Q4: We have the button with 1200 chips and blinds are 75/150. Weak, somewhat loose, CO opens 3xBB with 1000 more behind him. He will probably be calling wide, but he will also open wide with any ace, any pair, any Broadway hand and with a few steals w crap hands thrown in for good measure. He will fold the crap hands if raised all in. What hands should we push with?

I hope to get a good and serious thread going. Especially because I found that 2+2-SST lacks detailed info on 6-handed turbo sng strategy and with a joint effort we could rectify that somewhat.

And please be free to ask your own questions, if any?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Turbo 6-seaters: General advice thread

Hmmm, not a lot of views for this thread.

This link explain a bit on how to change your bubble play when playing 6-max sng's. I'm not sure how valid the info is, so if anyone agree with the text, please say so:

Bubble play on 6-max tables
Old 07-05-2007, 12:07 PM

I've never played these but the blinds increasing once an orbit seems pretty crazy, how deep do the blinds generally get before it gets to 3 handed?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Early levels just play like you're in late MP in a 9-man. Towards the end the bubble requires a little more common sense and thought than 9-mans IMO. PS 6-mans are getting a lot tougher lately it seems.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Suzzer, I am glad you decided to chime in.

Could I lure you to reflect on some of the questions in my OP?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 PM

I've recently switched to 6 man turbos (from 10 man regulars), but they're a different structure on my site - 5 minute levels. With 6 people, in the early stages this isn't really any faster than the regulars on my site, with 8 minute levels and 10 players.

From what I've seen most people loosen up way too much - like they're playing 6MAX cash. I've been playing the early levels more like it's a 10 man and letting others bust early. We're always on the bubble by level 3, usually by level 2 and often at level 1.

6 hands per level is a lot faster than the ones I play - and we get 1500 starting chips too - so you're talking about a very different structure. The ones I play take 20 minutes to a win, about 15 minutes on average.

If you're decent HU I don't think there's a good reason to play for first rather for ITM. Maybe in a more crap-shooty structure, but the ones I play we're generally pretty deep ITM and get to play some poker, which is nice. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]