Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Quoting in relaxed conversations

Ok some thoughts on quoting in normal conversation;

So I was talking to my Grandma the other day over a game of rummy and she was describing how her hip replacement had gone ok but that it was obvious she was starting to get old. I said "It's ok grandma, even the Mona Lisa's falling apart", and wouldn't have even thought about telling her it was a quote from Tyler Durden because I know there is a 100% chance she has not seen this movie, and that she'd probably think I was clever with no harm to anyone. I think this is pretty clear cut that it would be retarded to say "or at least thats what this guy in a movie said!", as part of the conversation.

But what about in less clear cut situations? Would you ever specify that you were quoting someone? To friends? To girls? To people who are very likely to be oblivious? What is the protocol here?

I know that for some quotes that are exceptionally popular, like saying "IS NICE!!!" or "I don't know if you've heard but i'm kind of a big deal (misquote w/e) there's no need since these are pop culture references and when you're using them you are usually assuming the other person knows where they're from.

But how about if you want to sound clever and quote something more obscure? An example; I recently read an interview with Maynard from Tool; he said something about going to the beach, 'I'm not the kind of person to sit on the beach and drink a wine cooler y'know? That's the guy in the commercial'. Say I wanted to express the same idea and quoted that; should I say 'or at least, thats what blah blah says?'.

Or am I just overthinking things?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Quoting in relaxed conversations

Probably overthinking this. If it is an overused quote, avoid it; if it semi-known, just say it with a slight smile on your face and make eye contact with your audience--if they recognize it you have a "moment" together and they usually think you are clever for not being obvious about it; if the quote is really rare or (like with your Grandma) very unlikely to be recognized say it and move on. If it as good of a quote as you thought someone will say something like "hey, that's a good one"--then you attribute it by saying "thanks, I wish it were mine". I only quote a source if they press.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:08 AM

I quote movies, TV shows, etc. constantly.

Sometimes the person gets it and we have a "moment," as tommy2 said.

Sometimes they laugh even though they don't get it.

Sometimes they look at me like I have a third eye growing out of my forehead.

When the last one happens, I just say, "Big Lebowski," and move on, feeling sorry for them that they don't have more worthless movie trivia in their heads like I do.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:31 AM

Tell your Grandma to go back to her home on whore island.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 PM

I quote not-obvious sources constantly throughout the day without apology or citing. If someone asks, I'll tell them, but there's no reason to say "well, as was said in X..." before you say it.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:39 PM

It's way more fun to add a "Just like Confucius said: ..." to some random statement.

And often enough I've got no clue who I'm quoting anyway, so I won't disclose it when not asked to. If someone asks, I'll throw out a random name that comes to mind first. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But how about if you want to sound clever

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Dennis Miller?

If you have to try that hard, odds are you're not fooling anyone.