Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Primary Colors

Just wondering if many people have seen this and if so, what they thought of it. I've never heard much being said about it but it's one of my all-time favourites.

If you haven't seen it, it's about obscure Southern Governor Jack Stanton's (Bill Clinton in everything but name) campaign to win the Democratic presidential nomination as told through the eyes of one of his staffers. I think it's hilarious and at the same time a good look at the compromises that are necessary in politics. The cast is amazing: Travolta as Stanton, Emma Thompson as his wife, Adrian Lester, Maura Tierney, Billy-Bob Thornton and Kathy Bates as various members of their staff. If you haven't seen it check it out.

Just to give one example of how the comedy and realistic cynicism combine(though this doesn't do the delivery justice):

(They're discussing how to handle an emerging sex allegation)
Lester: I wonder if it's true.
Tierney: Who cares?
Lester: It would be better if it weren't true.
Tierney: Why? They say Hitler never looked at another woman apart from Eva Braun, does that make him better than Stanton? Or Roosevelt or Kennedy or any of the other guys we wish we'd worked for who f**ked around on the side?
Thornton(deadpan): But that's not the official line for interviews.