Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 02-09-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Tilt session quantification

Not sure if this is even the right forum for this, but I'll give it a shot.

Has anyone tried to quantify tilt sessions, or in general results of playing in a less than optimal mental or emotional state?

Last year was a terrible year from me which started with a terrible run of cards in April and finished between May and November with just bad play. It took me literally until December to admit that I was just playing bad poker. Once I did, I finally started coming around and pulling myself out of it. One of the major epiphanies for me was that I was playing a lot of sessions where I didn't really want to play, I just did cause there ... well, pretty much cause it was there and I could.

I've been working hard on not doing that anymore, and through Dec and Jan I've been very successful at getting off the tables when I don't want to be on them, and/or staying off them when I don't feel like starting.

Last night was a set-back though. At about midnight, I'm getting crushed by the cards but only down about 8 bets cause I'm playing smart and my opponents certainly aren't maximizing against me. I thought "I should just stop cause I need to go to sleep and don't feel like playing anymore." And then I promptly stay on for another hour and a half, get a couple other beats, then just psuedo-tilt and piss away about 20 or 30 bets.

I was wondering if anyone's done any work to try to quantify how much on average sessions like this cost players. I think it'd be an interesting study, but I also think it's really tough to try to study it. I don't know how, but if someone can give thoughts to a methodology, I'd really like to start looking at my game with this.

If nothing else, last night was a nice reminder of why I've been trying so hard to avoid the tables when I don't want to play...

- C -
Old 02-09-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Tilt session quantification

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone tried to quantify tilt sessions, or in general results of playing in a less than optimal mental or emotional state?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would probably be interesting to note how much tilt costs the average player, but I think it would be very difficult to gather data in this area for two reasons:
1. it is hard to identify strictly when a player is on tilt, as a majority of players who play on tilt will promptly take a break; and
2. many players with good data will deny ever having been on tilt.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:53 PM

ive got an idea .Ever seen those things people use to count crowds i.e push a button device clicks up once . Think there 20 bucks .Count ur last ten tilt hands ,get average , 6 months of clicking ur now ready to step in front of a bus
Old 02-09-2006, 06:05 PM

2. many players with good data will deny ever having been on tilt.

I did this for about eight months in a row last year and finally stopped and admitted it to myself. I want to stop denying it, and I think I can pretty well define when I'm on tilt.

Any way to monitor a segment of hands in PT? I know you can do it table by table, but I wish there was a way to do what the second replier was saying. Almost push a button and it starts recording hands in a different way or area, and you can segment those out as tilt. Or even put in a time range. "Hands played on 2/9/06 from 12:20 AM to 1:30 AM".

Not a big deal, but would be nice...

- C -
Old 02-10-2006, 10:27 AM

It would be difficult to get all tilt hands, but you might be able to get a subset. My thinking is that, even when you realize you are on tilt, it's difficult to say for how long you've been like that. My personal belief is that there are different severities of tilt. You can be a little on tilt, or you can be a lot on tilt.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:56 AM

You can set up pokertracker to get hands from specific times like you example exactly. Go to the preference tab and change the "my day starts" time(or something like that). You can then look at how bad you played after the time you wanted to quit. It won't be exact but the big thing is recognizing your tilting and knowing what it is costing you. Then not doing it.

The best thing I've come up with to not tilt is taking lots of notes on players. You will be to busy getting notes to tilt and you will gather good info for future on these bad players that you are taking bad beats from. Plus this forces you to pay really close attention to the game.