Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Possibly moving to NYC -- Advice?

[ QUOTE ]
I may be moving from San Diego to NYC sometime in the next 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]
As someone that grew up in sd and now lives in ny the first thing I would say is dont. Regarding finding a place that just all depends on your budget. If you dont want to spend that much hoboken is actually sort of a cool place and a quick path ride from the financial district. And you should not even consider taking your car out here. You will pay 340 a month and never use it.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I may be moving from San Diego to NYC sometime in the next 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]
As someone that grew up in sd and now lives in ny the first thing I would say is dont. Regarding finding a place that just all depends on your budget. If you dont want to spend that much hoboken is actually sort of a cool place and a quick path ride from the financial district. And you should not even consider taking your car out here. You will pay 340 a month and never use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent the weekend visiting a buddy who lives in Hoboken. It really is a cool town/city/neighborhood whatever. The food (which to me is the best thing about NYC) is just as good as in Manhattan for cheap/mid priced meals (although obviously a smaller range of places). We went to some great delis and a cool cheap steak house.

The bar scene is pretty cool as well - there are tons of them and there are good crowds to be found.

if you work in an area in Manhattan where you can take the ferry or is right off the PATH train, then commuting to work is very easy. but if this is not a great fit or if you want to out in Manhattan often, Hoboken is not very convenient. you can wait a while for the PATH train at night (which also could be a 10-15 minute walk from your apartment), or a cab ride is like $50.

so I liked Hoboken a lot, but there are some definitive negatives to consider.

/contribution from non NYC guy
Old 11-13-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I spent the weekend visiting a buddy who lives in Hoboken. It really is a cool town/city/neighborhood whatever. The food (which to me is the best thing about NYC) is just as good as in Manhattan for cheap/mid priced meals (although obviously a smaller range of places). We went to some great delis and a cool cheap steak house.

The bar scene is pretty cool as well - there are tons of them and there are good crowds to be found.

if you work in an area in Manhattan where you can take the ferry or is right off the PATH train, then commuting to work is very easy. but if this is not a great fit or if you want to out in Manhattan often, Hoboken is not very convenient. you can wait a while for the PATH train at night (which also could be a 10-15 minute walk from your apartment), or a cab ride is like $50.

so I liked Hoboken a lot, but there are some definitive negatives to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good summary of Hoboken - from what I remember the Path is a real nightmare latenight and comes at like 45 minute intervals which sucks bigtime when you're trying to get to sleep at like 4am - real buzz kill. Cabs back are like $60 too since you're crossing state lines and the tunnels are always under construction. I seem to remember saying "never again" after a bad weekend of this so I'd take that into consideration and give Brooklyn/DUMBO/Williamsburg more of a look if you're going to work around Union Square.

[ QUOTE ]
Karen O from the yeah yeah yeahs, taught thousands of mediocre looking girls that they should think they are much much hotter then they really are.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL how true
Old 11-13-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nt is retarded, don't listen to him.

Also, last night DaveR told me that 5th near U Sq is where the office is. Is he correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

10k fight yo?