Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Basic Horse racing question

I'm not really sure if this post is in the right forum....
I'm just starting to take horse racing seriously. I'm curious as to the differences between the DRF and the Equibase daily programs. The data seems to be about the same, but the Equibase programs seem to be a bit more generous. Is there a great advantage in using one over the other?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Basic Horse racing question

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really sure if this post is in the right forum....
I'm just starting to take horse racing seriously. I'm curious as to the differences between the DRF and the Equibase daily programs. The data seems to be about the same, but the Equibase programs seem to be a bit more generous. Is there a great advantage in using one over the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

DRF programs are the only way to fly. Equibase adds some info not found in the DRF such as track pars and class ratings but they faulter on two major issues that make them unusable. 1. Equibase speed figures are computer generate and miss the subtle changes in track and speed of a given race. 2. Equibase does not include trainer form and ROI info as listed on the bottom of the DRF PP. These angles are a critical part of the game as it doesn't really help you to know equipment changes if you don't know what they are likely to mean on race day.

With that said it is very difficult to beat the races solely through a PP. I have recently switched to using thorographs as well but those are expensive and more for the professional gambler. If you are going to handicap casually using PPs I would highly recommend betting through a generous rebate program like 5dimes or Pinnacle, you have a much better chance of success there as track takeout is cut in half. There aren't too many horse 'cappers on this forum but feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:05 PM

I dabbled in horses for a few years and also liked brisnet.com for their PP's and Value Line sheets. the a la carte pricing model is excellent too - I haven't used them since the TC but if I wanted to get one day of one track for $1 tonight, that's all they would put on my credit card. no monthly fee or minimum.

i would ultimately combine brisnet PP's with DRF for a balanced opinion, but to get exclusive pace/variable speed ratings and Prime Power for just a buck, it'd be silly not to give it a shot.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dabbled in horses for a few years and also liked brisnet.com for their PP's and Value Line sheets. the a la carte pricing model is excellent too - I haven't used them since the TC but if I wanted to get one day of one track for $1 tonight, that's all they would put on my credit card. no monthly fee or minimum.

i would ultimately combine brisnet PP's with DRF for a balanced opinion, but to get exclusive pace/variable speed ratings and Prime Power for just a buck, it'd be silly not to give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree brisnet/bet is great especially if your unit size is small and therefore the cost of a PP is significant. Currently PPs are free there when you make any bet on that card. Also their bonus is generous, deposit $100 bet $100 and they give you $100. I believe you may be able to do this risk free, as I didn't see anything about a rollover, but I still need to read the T&C.

EDIT: Just noticed there is a $50 RAF also.