Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 05:28 AM

Default nit-picking about \"adjusting to weak/tight games\"

this question might be considered very trivial to some, so if there's anyone out there who wants to humor me with their opinion, great. if not, so be it.

beginning on p.196 of sklansky and miller's "no limit hold em; theory and practice" there is a hand discussed that elucidates adjusting to weak/tight players. ed miller asserts that he really played this hand, and it is not merely hypothetical. i won't go over the entire progression of the hand, but suffice it to say that in the end, ed's weak-tight opponent lays down trip fives when ed represents a heart flush with an all-in move on the river. what strikes me is that ed, playing a $5-10 game, raised from the small blind to $40 (with pocket tens), and this weak/tight player called the for another $30 from the big blind with 5 2 of diamonds. IS THAT REALLY SOMETHING A WEAK/TIGHT PLAYER WOULD DO? My understanding of a tight player would preclude him from ever calling a raise of 3x the big blind with something as trashy as 5 2 suited (unless of course he had compelling pot odds, a read on his opponent, or a knowledge of his generally superior post-flop play).

I certainly don't mean to infer that ed was lying, but this play just didn't make sense. Any thoughts? I will note that the text is otherwise superb and I highly recommend it.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:02 AM

Default Re: nit-picking about \"adjusting to weak/tight games\"

It's possible. A lot of people like to call out of the BB with all sorts of hands. The weak-tight characteristics kick in when the big bets come out on later streets.