Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 05:43 PM

Default Windows XP install problem

I just did a clean install of Windows XP Professional today. I have used this CD before to do a clean install, so it's not a problem with the CD itself. It is roughly 3 years old and the older version of Windows XP (pre- service pack 2). I bought the CD from my university's software store, which has a licensing agreement with Microsoft so it is much cheaper for students.

Anyway, so I install it today, and attempt to update windows through MS's update site and they attempt to validate my copy of windows to make sure it is "genuine microsoft software". OK, fine. It then comes back with an "unknown error" and tells me to please contact my local software support team.

So I contact the University tech support people and the people responsible for university software. The first 2 people I talk to are no help, but the 3rd one claims that Microsoft simply made it so that my older copy of XP no longer works and I have to buy a new CD. Which obviously is complete [censored] since I didn't pay for software that I can no longer re-install after 2 years. Further, if I buy a new CD from the University it is apparantly only good for 1 install. So if I need to do another clean install I will have to go buy ANOTHER FREAKING CD of the software.

The CD is much cheaper with the licensing agreement, but this is just so stupid in principle (and a hassle) that I would like to simply get the copy I paid for to work. Does anyone know how to get my version of XP validated, and/or at least download the service packs? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Windows XP install problem

Normally in the window which offers the "unknown error" a MS tel number is available. Just call the number, explain the circumstances and the MS CS rep will validate your copy either online or give you a new validation key.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Windows XP install problem

I sympathize with your problem and the suggestion to call MS is good one. If it works great.

My guess, if I understand what you have said, is that MS will not help you as the software was sold under the University's license and if they won't help you, you are out luck. As far as I know MS will only support software sold as a Microsoft product. If you want support for an OEM product you have to get it from the place you bought the license from.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Microsoft is stupid

Update:
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I went back to the auto-update site to search for the Microsoft help number. There was some link in tiny text under one of the sections on the validation page (the kind of text you see at the bottom of websites saying "powered by so-and-so's whatever software". Basically, it was barely noticable, but it was a link to a page "about windows validation software" or something along those lines.

So I go to that page and there is a button in the middle of the page saying "validate". I click on it fully expecting to get the same error, but it brings up some software to install. I click yes to install it and it almost instantly tells me my copy is now validated. Thanks for hiding the link that actually works Microsoft.

Anyway, it's working fine now. I figured I'd post this in case anyone else has similar difficulties.