Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 10:44 AM

Default How terrible is this line?

EP- $100
Me. Button- $75

1/2 NL, 6 handed

EP raises to $7, I call with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], blinds fold

I have no read on this player, he is new to the table

Flop T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP- Bets $14, I call (felt his range here was AK-A9, KQ, 66-AA)

Pot $35

Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He again bets $14, this felt very weak to me, I push for about $40 more

Thoughts? Terrible? Just OK?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:47 AM

Default Re: How terrible is this line?

Fold preflop. Raise/fold the flop. Your turn was awful...you said you sensed weakness but before you said you had no reads. These two statements are clear contradictions. If you want to get aggressive here, raise the flop, not the turn.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:48 AM

Without a read, I cant really say that I like it, even though that is a pretty weak turn bet.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:51 AM

You gave him a chance to fold worse hands and to call you with better ones really. I probably just call, he's offering you fantastic odds...if he has nothing he's either going to bluff weak at the river again or check/fold. Your push just gets you called by stuff that beats you I think.

All that being said I don't hate it, because it does protect your hand if he's on whiffed overs.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:52 AM

buy in full

raise flop
Old 04-13-2006, 10:52 AM

its troubling that the range of hands you put him on was so big... how does that really help you. With no reads, its clear that he bet the pot on the flop with the $14, and seeing that there is a flush and a straight draw out there, its safe to say that he has a hand better than two highcards that didn't hit, and he's trying to protect it. I'm not sure what your style is but i think i would raise if not push the flop. I don't like your push on the turn with just one card to come, because i think its safe to say that if you showdown just a pair of 8s that it won't be good, and at that point villian is essentially pot committed, so you will most likely be called. I think a raise or a push on the flop would be the most +EV.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:53 AM

The turn bet does look weak, but floating against a new player at the table with no read can be a disaster.

You can't narrow down his range enough, nor can you determine what within that range he'd be willing to lay down.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the advice all.

I should note that while I don't have a read on this individual player, the big flop bet followed by the same sized turn bet has been, in my experience, a pretty standard tell online that the bettor is weak, almost as though the turn bet is a blocking bet hoping to get a cheap river, so that played into my turn push.

I had attempted to add on to my stack, but didn,t get it in until after this hand strted. (Had just double up the guy to my right)

Also, the main reason I called preflop, besides having position, was that both blinds had been defending pretty liberally, and I was very suprised both folded.

Thanks for the advice all around, seem that my inkling that I had screwed this up was pretty accurate.

Results- Guy called immediately after my push with AT and I rivered the straight.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
buy in full

raise flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, given the short stacks I would've probably followed up by a push on any turn card.