Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM

Default SB Special: value bet or check raise?

Table is relatively loose-passive. Input on all street is appreciated. Is my flop donk wrong? Turn check-call OK (with three new outs)? What's my river play when I hit my baby flush?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>
Old 12-01-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: SB Special: value bet or check raise?

Considering my hand got better on the turn I'd probably bet again. The river is a bet considering how passive the table is.

Is the WSU in your name the one in Pullman? I graduated from there in '90.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 PM

:g:

The flop bet is not a donk since its made in tempo. I like turn check because you often get raised by an ace forcing you to put in 2 BB to get HU with only straight and flush outs (its not a disaster, but its worse than getting two callers or a free card).
River I think its close, if CO has an ace, he is betting it and he will likely pay you off. If you check you might convince SB to put one more bet in before you raise. Against stronger opponents I think you should bet.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:26 PM

I don't know about the river, a lot of draws came in, someone in late position may just check a hand they would call with.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 PM

turn check &gt; bet imo

just bet the river
Old 12-01-2007, 08:59 PM

I would check the flop, because you dont know whether you will get enough callers to make your bet for value.

It also tends to make your hand obvious to some players when you bet a flush draw on the flop and then check unimproved on the turn.

I would also bet on the river, as there is no guarantee that the CO will bet. However, you may get a call or calls from weaker hands.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:00 PM

check the flop, as played check the turn, bet the river
Old 12-02-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would check the flop, because you dont know whether you will get enough callers to make your bet for value.

It also tends to make your hand obvious to some players when you bet a flush draw on the flop and then check unimproved on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we are giving away our hand by betting the flop and checking the turn, the opponents might think we have a Q but we are scared of the A.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the flop bet is fine regarding equity as long as there are 2 callers. Also, needless to say all the others may fold and we can win right there. The worst possible scenario is getting 1 caller, but even if the turn card isn't a diamond, as long as it is a lower card than Q, we can semi-bluff and bet again. So the flop bet is fine IMO.

Am I getting too fancy?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:38 PM

clearly you bet here considering the way it was played.

The flop bet wasn't something I would have done.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:58 AM

obv bet/call