Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Pokerstars Deep Stacks $22 on bubble

28 players left and 27 get paid. Villan is the table chipleader, second overall. Since the start of hand-for-hand, he has raised every hand (4 hands straight) pre-flop and stolen the blinds and antes. Then this hand comes up.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t39760)
Hero (t64003)
BB (t54742)
UTG (t142377)
MP1 (t19612)
MP2 (t38674)
CO (t24685)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t2800</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t7200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls t4400.

Flop: (t14775) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t12000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t36000</font>, Hero ?????
Old 07-04-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars Deep Stacks $22 on bubble

I'd push b/c...

A) AK pushes PF (esp. with your reads)
B) He could do this with a AXss
C) If he has a set I don't care if I go broke

NH!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:49 PM

I would call this PF. You're gonna be playing a vulnerable hand out of position against a lag. I'd call, see the flop, raising doesn't do anything for you here really. Also, you should be raising more, like 3x the original raise if you're gonna raise PF.

On the flop I would check, and call a bet. Probably check again on the turn, if villian checks thru value bet river. If villian bets again, probably call.

I think a big mistake you make here is not controlling pot size. You're letting it get big, without knowing if you're best. You probably are, but the flop decision is getting ugly because you don't know for sure.

If we think we're ahead, I like this line for getting better value.

I think pushing PF is a little too excessive. We're not winning much, and the only thing that calls us is at worst a flip, and often got us dominated (AQ/AK).
Old 07-05-2007, 07:47 PM

My reasoning for the raise pre-flop was because I was out of position. The fact that he had opened four straight hands as the table chip-leader as soon as we hit hand-for-hand really reeked of stealing pblinds. I wanted to re-raise pre-flop to hopefully take the pot right there if he was raising with nothing rather than giving him a free flop to hit something cheap.

The re-raise post flop was the more difficult thing. If his range was a loose as it appeared, I figured he could have had Kx, 10x, QJ, any pair or two spades to put me to the test. Of those hands, the only ones that have me worried are A-A, K-K, 10-10, 4-4, A-K, K-10, K-4 and 10-4, although I don't think he is spewy enough to play K-4 or 10-4 after the re-raise pre-flop. There was still the possibility as well that he read my raise on the flop as a continuation bet a been trying to still re-steal with nothing.

Does this analysis seem reasonable?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 PM

even if he is bumping up every hand , he is still utg, and ur going to be playing out of pos. I'd fold, it may be weak but why play such a big pot from the sb.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to re-raise pre-flop to hopefully take the pot right there

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's folding anything with that stack/implied odds etc...

He flip K-10 to your push?