Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: UFC 78, TUF 6 Finale, UFC 79

i had no idea whether alexander had a competitive ground game or not coming into this fight, but the tremendous ease and quickness with which he got mounted once the fight went to the ground says a lot i think
Old 11-18-2007, 10:22 AM

This was a dulllll show. That being said, I just watched all the undercard fights which, without exception, are way more entertaining than the main card.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:37 AM

I've been finally satisfied with the ridiculous hype surrounding Houston Alexander. People were talking about how he`s the toughest SOB around this and that.`I never believed it once .... god his ground game looked worse than Nobuhiko Takadad at PRIDE 1. Overall pretty boooooooooooring whole card.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the Alexander fight was pretty much exactly like how I posted. The clinch was inevitable and then once it went to the ground there was no real resistance on Houston's part. Thiago Silva is a great grappler and his top control is quite good. Expecting Houston to stop him with the short amount of training time he's had with BJJ was just a little unrealistic.

Anyways, we can all definitely agree that from a fan's perspective, the event was very poor. Least entertaining card since the early UFCs, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Props. That is all.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been finally satisfied with the ridiculous hype surrounding Houston Alexander.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the more obnoxious aspects of MMA is that a large portion of its fans are bandwagon jumpers who think anyone who won their last two fights by KO is a god and anyone who lost their last fight is a scrub. Some people just don't understand variance and place way too much emphasis on the short term. The best team in baseball in any given year usually wins about 60% of their games, but for whatever reason people expect perfection from fighters.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been finally satisfied with the ridiculous hype surrounding Houston Alexander.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the more obnoxious aspects of MMA is that a large portion of its fans are bandwagon jumpers who think anyone who won their last two fights by KO is a god and anyone who lost their last fight is a scrub. Some people just don't understand variance and place way too much emphasis on the short term. The best team in baseball in any given year usually wins about 60% of their games, but for whatever reason people expect perfection from fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT x10.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:24 AM

Analysis of my analysis....

[ QUOTE ]
Bisping +246 .25u to win .61u
Bisping wins by 3 round decision: +609 .25u to win 1.52u

[/ QUOTE ]Bisping nearly pulled it off. Fight was much closer than +246 or +609 for a decision. I'm happy with the bet, even though it lost.

[ QUOTE ]
Alexander -166 1.66u to win 1u

[/ QUOTE ]Bad. Just, bad. I bought the hype. I paid the price.

[ QUOTE ]
Edgar -121 1.5u to win 1.25
Edgar/Fisher goes > 2:30 into 2nd: -230 2.3u to win 1u

[/ QUOTE ]3 round decision, exactly as planned.

[ QUOTE ]
Doerksen +135 .33u to win .44u

[/ QUOTE ]Herman got saved by the bell in the 2nd. I'm happy with the bet, but sometimes, them's the breaks.

[ QUOTE ]
Chonan +306 .5u to win 1.5u
Karo/Ryo goes > 2:30 into 2nd: -245 2.45u to win 1u
(Just watched some Chonan fights... seems takedown defence is something that happens to other people. Wow.)

[/ QUOTE ]Reduced my bet after seeing the film on Chonan. Thank God. Karo gassed as predicted, but Chonan couldn't do anything with it.

Given Chonan's lack of any real fight-ending skills, and Karo being, well, Karo.... the over bet was a good decision.

[ QUOTE ]
Reinhardt +441 .5u to win 2.2u

[/ QUOTE ]It was a flyer to begin with. But apparently not the right one. The real odds on that fight should have been more like 7:1. Bad call on my part, but not a big one.

[ QUOTE ]
And just for fun.... Gono -191 .5u to win .25u

[/ QUOTE ]Haven't seen the fight to make any analysis. But I didn't really cap this fight. I just put a lil on Gono cause he's fun.

Good calls:
Bisping
Bisping by dec.
Edgar
Edgar/Fisher Over
Doerkson
Karo/Chonan Over

Bad calls:
Alexander
Chonan
Alexander
Reinhardt
Alexander

Final result: Damn near exactly breakeven.
(Luckily I doubled my over bets on Edgar and Chonan at fighttime, so I got something out of it, even if my record don't reflect.)

Any word on the wig prop? LOL
Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 AM

To be fair, losing in MMA is just different than losing in any other combat sport. Most of us (I know I was) were raised on boxing. It's pretty rare that you see a boxing match end in as thorough a whooping as some MMA fights, like Chuck/Rampage for example. Even if it's a pretty one-sided beatdown, the other boxer usually has his moments and even if he's never really in the fight, he at least lands some stuff and executes his gameplan a little bit.

It's different watching someone get totally and thoroughly walked through like that and the common thought for the general public isn't "well that was going to happen 15% of the time", it's more like "goddamn, that was a whooping. I guess either ______ is god, or ______ just flat out sucks because that fight wasn't even close!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that due to how foreign and new MMA is to a lot of people, the constant deification/discarding cycle is just something we kind of have to expect from the casual fan. It can be profitable though. I'm already eagerly anticipating the Machida/Sokoudjou line for UFC79 for this very reason.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 AM

Yeah, the Machida/Sokoudjou is a very interesting fight, and I think will be very profitable if Machida is at -150ish or better.

svj,

Definitely check out the Gono fight. Pretty good ending.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the Machida/Sokoudjou is a very interesting fight, and I think will be very profitable if Machida is at -150ish or better.

svj,

Definitely check out the Gono fight. Pretty good ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

A machida win means we'll prob see sokou vs houston and machida vs rampage. That would be awesome.