Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Official WGA Writers Strike thread.

Here's an article that was in my local paper about The Office product placement. Sadly, if I remember correctly it was front page news. Anyways, it looks pretty random, don't know how representative it is of the industry.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...WS01/709290315
Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 PM

Not to mention you'll have to sit in a room and try to collaborate with a bunch of people who are pissed off at you.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:08 PM

CDS already said most of this, but I recently asked my friend about this. Her movie starts shooting in a couple weeks.

She said they could get non WGA writers, but no one will do it because they get blacklisted. There is a class of writers in the guild called financial core which is when during a strike, a writer who has financial problems and needs to work can go f-core and write without penalty. It is still frowned upon and they lose a lot of guild perks.

Apparently directors are allowed to make production edits, so she'll be doing rewrites the day of which, again, is frowned upon, but legit.

EDIT: CDS- she's working on the next movie by the King of Kong director, so let me know if you'd like any spoiler info to share with the forum.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is there to stop WGA writers from breaking rank, other than not wanting to break rank? Are the studios "allowed" to look elsewhere for writers? Does the U.S. government have laws in place that forbid them from doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are busted it is a possibility that they will never be allowed into the WGA or will be kicked out. Its a big deal given the benefits of being in SAG/WGA/DGA etc are pretty huge esp if yr a newb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can the studios just write off (no pun) the WGA entirely and refuse to ever hire a member again? Certainly they could get SOME writers to break rank at first, and eventually the whole union would be dismantled. Or would SAG etc. then have a conniption?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is there to stop WGA writers from breaking rank, other than not wanting to break rank? Are the studios "allowed" to look elsewhere for writers? Does the U.S. government have laws in place that forbid them from doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are busted it is a possibility that they will never be allowed into the WGA or will be kicked out. Its a big deal given the benefits of being in SAG/WGA/DGA etc are pretty huge esp if yr a newb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can the studios just write off (no pun) the WGA entirely and refuse to ever hire a member again? Certainly they could get SOME writers to break rank at first, and eventually the whole union would be dismantled. Or would SAG etc. then have a conniption?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS already said most of this, but I recently asked my friend about this. Her movie starts shooting in a couple weeks.

She said they could get non WGA writers, but no one will do it because they get blacklisted. There is a class of writers in the guild called financial core which is when during a strike, a writer who has financial problems and needs to work can go f-core and write without penalty. It is still frowned upon and they lose a lot of guild perks.

Apparently directors are allowed to make production edits, so she'll be doing rewrites the day of which, again, is frowned upon, but legit.

EDIT: CDS- she's working on the next movie by the King of Kong director, so let me know if you'd like any spoiler info to share with the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHa well if its the Reece and vince movie..already read the script.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chudd,

I also think there's a large divide between, "TV is crap," and "TV isn't well-written." Just because the humor may seem cliche, trite, whatever, doesn't mean that it isn't well-written. It is simply written to cater to a certain taste, and the stuff that's on TV is a testament to just how well it achieves that goal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I often wonder how much of this is that what's written for TV audiences is what TV audiences genuinely enjoy, and how much of it is that TV audiences have been inured to expect and accept mediocre dreck.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have a hard time taking someone seriously when they misuse both your/you're and their/there. normally i will look past errors like that on the internet, but when someone is trying to make claims about writing quality i think his inability to write himself becomes relevant (and no it's not just one or two typos, he has done it dozens of times in this thread alone). (and in case you can't tell who i'm talking about, i'm refering to CDS)

[/ QUOTE ]

ya...luckley i don't care. but you would be surprised how many screenwriters mangle the inglish language. Usually won't see it in their scripts...but in thy're emails/letters etc it can be giberish...though like me they simply may not care enough to bother poof reading/spell checking/ or give a [censored]. lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, good thing you don't care. Did you do this on purpose? It's borderline unreadable.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have a hard time taking someone seriously when they misuse both your/you're and their/there. normally i will look past errors like that on the internet, but when someone is trying to make claims about writing quality i think his inability to write himself becomes relevant (and no it's not just one or two typos, he has done it dozens of times in this thread alone). (and in case you can't tell who i'm talking about, i'm refering to CDS)

[/ QUOTE ]

ya...luckley i don't care. but you would be surprised how many screenwriters mangle the inglish language. Usually won't see it in their scripts...but in thy're emails/letters etc it can be giberish...though like me they simply may not care enough to bother poof reading/spell checking/ or give a [censored]. lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, good thing you don't care. Did you do this on purpose? It's borderline unreadable.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha wondered if anyone would pick up on that. good job nath.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:33 PM

hehe. i wasn't real sure, but then nobody said anything and i was like "ummm..."