Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 04:27 AM

Default Re: 2007 Pac 10 football thread

[ QUOTE ]
Almost a perfect day for Oregon, they beat USC

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I saw the game. I hope Oregon wins the rest of the year. If they do, they should be in the NC game. But they'll probably blow the Civil War. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
UCLA loses to the mighty Cougars of Washington State

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked WSU in that game. UCLA has a way of collapsing in the 2nd half of the season and WSU was due a win. A nice cold home game would be a good remedy.

[ QUOTE ]
Huskies take another tumble to add humiliation to their shameful year

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only real humiliating and shameful loss on the year. Nothing humiliating about losing to top teams every week especially when you're competetive during them and have decent shots at winning them.

This one stung. Real bad. Def. Coordinator should be hung from the flagpole. Def isn't stopping anyone. The scheme absolutely sucks. Where's the D that was holding us in games against much, much tougher opponents while the offense sputtered? The offense finally seems to be getting on track a bit(not just against AZ, but also showed good signs against the Ducks) and the D checks out? The bend but don't break D broke big time these last 2 games.

What a waste of a near record day for Locker and a great showing by the offense in general. Btw...Locker runs the ball better than Shaun Alexander. Damn he's fun to watch.

[ QUOTE ]
The only fly in the ointment was that California lost to Arizona State

[/ QUOTE ]

I like AZ St. Go Erickson.

It's also nice to have 2 Pac 10 teams in the top 5.

[ QUOTE ]
if Cal beats ASU that would have helped the Ducks

[/ QUOTE ]

The Ducks have to beat ASU to help the Ducks. ASU v Cal wasn't really a factor. ASU winning helps keep ASU up there in the rankings and will make UO look better if they beat them next week. Giving them more leverage to get to the NC game. Actually, that kind of goes both ways.

Personally, I like both teams but think UO is the tops right now. Whoever wins, I want to win out.

I can't wait for that game.

b
Old 10-28-2007, 12:02 PM

If Cal beat ASU it would've gotten them one loss, allowing for some situations where even if they beat Oregon they could've still lost again, gotten into some sort of multi-team tiebreaker situation and the Ducks could've snuck into the conference champion slot... but that was very unlikely. So yeah, technically a Cal win would've helped a *little* bit for the Ducks hopes in the conference, but the ASU win is actually better for Oregon in terms of national title hopes, because now we have a chance to knock off a top five team. Personally, as a Duck fan, I'm glad ASU won. Now we just have to beat them. And not choke afterwards. Like @UCLA, hypothetically speaking.

Also, it was great to see Washington lose another game, and this time to someone who ISN'T good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It's always a joy to revel in the miseries of UDud, especially when Oregon is looking great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2007, 12:07 PM

b,

Can you honestly watch a loss like that and still feel Washington is moving in the right direction? I imagine you're feeling the same frustrations I had in 2004...with both Ty and Kent Baer's defenses. Ty's teams are notorious for 2nd half meltdowns...I think most of the Husky faithful must be beginning to tire of these all to often come-from-ahead losses. I think this game and last year's 20-3 embarrassment to winless Stanford represent key indicators of the program's direction. If Ty gets another year, expect it to be his last if he continues to lose in a similar fashion. Also note loud crunching noise of the bones of Husky players snapping from the giant bus the coaching staff drove over them in the post game news conference:

Seattle Times Column
Old 10-28-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Almost a perfect day for Oregon, they beat USC

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I saw the game. I hope Oregon wins the rest of the year. If they do, they should be in the NC game. But they'll probably blow the Civil War. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's in Eugene this year and the last 10 were won by the home team. So we're either guaranteed or OSU is due, we'll see which. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UCLA has a way of collapsing like a house of cards against teams they should annihilate

[/ QUOTE ]

Been nice knowing ya Karl Dorrell.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Cal beat ASU it would've gotten them one loss, allowing for some situations where even if they beat Oregon they could've still lost again, gotten into some sort of multi-team tiebreaker situation and the Ducks could've snuck into the conference champion slot

[/ QUOTE ]

If Oregon loses again, especially to ASU, I don't see them having a shot at the conf championship. Even if ASU had a loss. ASU isn't likely to lose 2 more Pac games after that. And even then, Oregon wouldn't make it as ASU would have the head to head tiebreaker on them.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it was great to see Washington lose another game, and this time to someone who ISN'T good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It's always a joy to revel in the miseries of UDud, especially when Oregon is looking great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure Oregon St, and WSU also enjoyed it.

b
Old 10-28-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you honestly watch a loss like that and still feel Washington is moving in the right direction?

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to how ND is losing games this year? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Yes. It's only one game. Look at the season as a whole. The offense is definitely moving in the right direction, wouldn't you say?

[ QUOTE ]
I think most of the Husky faithful must be beginning to tire of these all to often come-from-ahead losses. I think this game and last year's 20-3 embarrassment to winless Stanford represent key indicators of the program's direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

People still forget where this team was when Ty took over.

People who only see the Stanford game forget the USC game and the OT loss to Cal(with our backup QB and both games away games, both games against great teams.). Those easily offset the Stanford game. You have to take the bad with the good.

Many Husky faithful forget just how tough this schedule is this year. They couldn't really expect us to be better than 2 wins going into this game(yes, there are delusional, unrealistic Husky fans who think differently). We were only really expected to win 4-5 games this year. This loss does sting, though. There's still 3 very winnable games left.

I still see signs of improvement, overall.

[ QUOTE ]
Also note loud crunching noise of the bones of Husky players snapping from the giant bus the coaching staff drove over them in the post game news conference

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially Baer. I didn't hear Ty throwing the kids under the bus. Baer sure did. Especially when he tells a reporter to go ask a kid why he was taken out of the game. Pure class. You don't do that to your kids. You don't put it on them personally like that. They aren't pros. You suck it up.

This loss wasn't on the kids. The coaches can't explain how they play as well as they did(bending but not breaking) against much tougher opponents and keeping us in games(except Oregon, as that's where the back 2 wheels fell off the defensive cart) and then fall flat on this one. That only really works if those factors are switched around. The scheme sucked. It was an extremely poor coached defense these last 2 weeks. Especially disappointing given how they've played prior. THAT's what's frustrating. The offense finally shows up and the D is off jerking off somewhere.

Ty still has another year from me. Overall, he's doing ok and still moving forward. Even with this step back.

b
Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 PM

For those of you who didn't watch, the ASU/Cal game was not as close as the score. From the begining, it was obvious Cal was faster and ASU was bigger and stronger. The Devils completely wore them down and by the end ASU was bigger, stronger, AND faster. A couple of other things to keep in mind, ASU got shafted at the end of the first half on the fumbled punt where the both official made up a new rule on the spot to give Cal the ball back. ASU was also marching at the end of the game and there is no way Cal would have stopped them. They were completely out of gas. I always like it when you get the ball with six minutes left and kill the clock! The final score could have easily been 45-13 if they call the face mask on Cal's first TD (help me out here, it looked obvious in the stadium, but I get conflicting reports from friends who watched on TV).

The player of the game was not Dimitri Nance, no matter what the announcers and ESPN tell you. The player of the game was without question Justin Tryon. He was one on one with DeSean Jackson all night and held him in check. Jackson caught five balls for 88 yards, but 40 of those were on a violent push off (no call, of course). Tryon also had a pick. I wouldn't have thought of Tryon as a pro prospect, but last night changed my mind.

The other important thing that came out of this game is, ASU once again looked like a championship caliber team. The basice forumla is, spot team a big lead. Wake up. Dominate. Win big. Rinse. Repeat. This is a big, strong, physical team. Quite the opposite of the Koetter era. ASU at Oregon next week could end up being the game of the year in college football.

Aslo, kudos the the Sun Devil fans last night. That is the loudest I've heard that stadium in the 25 years I've been attending those games. I was young in the begining, so that might not be completely accurate, but there was more electricity in the stadium than any time during the 1996 run, including the Nebraska game. I've also never seen so few of the opponents fan for a sold out game.

A friend of mine e-mailed after watching ASU for the first time on TV last night and said they had "very little chance" against Oregon but should handle UCLA and Nogales Tech. I said Oregon would be favored by 6 (am I crazy?) which equates to ASU having a 30-35% chance to win. He came back with, "U r a homer." You can imagine my response [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said Oregon would be favored by 6 (am I crazy?) which equates to ASU having a 30-35% chance to win. He came back with, "U r a homer." You can imagine my response [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt Oregon will be favored, and I don't think they are the better team.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 AM

I agree with you rwperu. I also loved the fans last night. Usually the student section will empty out around 3rd quarter in order to go out and party, but the students stayed all the way to the end. I also loved the spirit our fans had at the end of the game and tried to overtake the field. Being on the 10 yard line, 1st row, South EndZone....it was hilarious watching 6-8 fence guards trying to stop 100+ fans from rushing the field.

One guy in particular got away from a guard by taking his shirt off that the guard had grabbed, while it was ripping. He got away and the crowd that was watching it went crazy with applause. Hilarious.

T