FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 6. FR MP2 w/ 88
Raise 2 4.88%
Call 19 46.34%
Fold 20 48.78%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: The \"Halloween is ridiculous thread\"

"This year I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October. And I got a feeling they're gonna peak right around January..."
Old 10-31-2007, 04:37 PM

tdarko,

OK maybe I am reaching a bit to say that the poor families use this holiday to subsidize their pantries. However, there's no doubt they do it because the richer neighborhood gives out more/better candy. So much so that they go to the trouble of loading up the kids and driving up there even though the houses and driveways are bigger so I anticipate around 30-40% more walking per piece of candy. I'm not sure if the parents fired up Excel and determined whether they're truly seeing sufficient ROI or VORH or whatever by going to all that trouble, but many of them seem to think it is and you don't see the rich kids going to the poor neighborhoods.

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus people do we really have to complain about everything? How the hell can we overcelebrate Halloween? You dress up and get candy, that is it. There are no 100 days of Halloween on the radio, or pumpkins in Home Depot on May 1st.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be serious? Sept 4th every Target, Wal-Mart, shopping center etc. was infiltrated w/ everything Halloween. I really don't see how this isn't going overboard.

Everyone keeps saying "damn you for not wanting to get free candy" blah blah blah. Wow, we are that hung up on candy huh? Sugar must be the end all be all to a kids happiness.

I have lived my entire life happy and it had nothing to do w/ candy. This thread turned out exactly the way I wanted it to, everyone reverting back to free candy, but the free candy, but the kids get FREE CANDY! lol. Kids don't need more candy, they need less candy if anything.

[ QUOTE ]
"This year I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October. And I got a feeling they're gonna peak right around January..."

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL What's this from, I know I've heard it before? Simpsons?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 PM

tuq,

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ummm no. Actually in my circle of friends I am the super laid back lover of life one. Just b/c I see through all the BS doesn't mean I don't enjoy life, this is just one thing that I find really annoying. It isn't like I complain about it all day. I don't like most holidays but I am one of the more liked people in my family as well as my soon to be in-laws family b/c I am a very happy person (I mention this b/c holidays is a time when everyone is around each other). It is ok to see through the nonsense, it doesn't mean you hate life.

[/ QUOTE ]

this guys life def sucks.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:40 PM

The last two Halloweens have been the most fun I have ever had in my life. Dress up in something hilarious with friends (that draws attention), go to a club, and drink a lot. I wish I could do it every weekend.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have lived my entire life happy and it had nothing to do w/ candy. This thread turned out exactly the way I wanted it to, everyone reverting back to free candy, but the free candy, but the kids get FREE CANDY! lol. Kids don't need more candy, they need less candy if anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because you should be the one to decide this. Guess what, plenty of kids can eat a 100 lbs of candy on Halloween and still not get fat. It isn't about the candy, it is about you hating on something that is so harmless. That is why people mention the candy, because you're making a giant bitching thread about a holiday that is basically all about people having fun and getting free stuff.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 PM

boohaa,

I love the blanket statement, I don't know why you said this but I assure you I live a pretty great life--I am only 26 and have done and experienced more than most people around here, that is for sure. Think what you want b/c I think free candy and pumpkins are goofy but this in no way translates to my actual life situation.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:49 PM

Tuq,

I know what you're talking about, btw. I lived in a subdivision that was perceived as more affluent than the surrounding area. It was also known as by far the best for trick-or-treating, but as the years passed there were more and more vans full of randos unloaded in our streets to see what we would give them. Kinda funny, imo, but also very sad.