Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Default How should I have played this?

My first attempt at a post and im kinda new to omaha so go easy on me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

12 players left in a 5$ freeze tournament where 10 places pay, im 4th in chips with 10k, villain is chipleader 15k or so, 2 players have below 500 in chips and blinds are 100/200.

Villain raise 400
1 call
1 fold
Hero Call on the button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB call
BB fold

flop

Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain bets pot 1800, 1 Fold, Hero re-raise Pot, SB fold, He puts me all-in and I call. He shows 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn is a 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] river K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and im out.

I dont like busting out whith 2 players below 500 and the payout so close, I know you should play for first but..
Calling pf ok or do I re-raise? should i have just called the flop? If so what do I do if the turn is a scarecard and he makes a big bet again?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this?

Reraising preflop will commit you to see the flop at least, and the caller in between villian and you might repop preflop with KKxx. What is the payout structure? Depending on the tourney, 9th and 10th might only be worth 9-14 dollars, while 1st and 2nd are 110 and 75 dollars. In those structures play aggressive.

What are the chip stacks of players 9-12? If they are on under 1400 I would fold preflop. In fact, your preflop holding here is a very mediocre hand. It has no flush draw possibilities and weak straight outs. You can fold it preflop.

All this said, the minute you hit this flop you need to shove all bets and reraises.Your opponent has 12 outs and luckily no flush draw. If you call the flop, you wont win chips when board pairs and may fold the 7 flush cards that dont help your opponent but scare you.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:08 AM

This is fine. I don't like raising this hand preflop, its not as strong as it looks tbh. You flop the nuts and get your money, can't fold this hand.

The only other play here would be to see a safe turn card thinking hes on a big wrap + FD and see safe turn cards before you stick your money in. Your equity change is HUGE vs those hands on the turn compared to the flop. But after raising his bet (which I think is the right play) you obv can't fold to his shove; that would be horrible.

You flop top set, you raise a bet and have to call a shove. Its a simple hand really.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:05 AM

Thx for the replys, the payout structure is exactly like that and only the last two where extremely shortstacked.

Guess I'm "a little" hold 'em damaged when it comes to hands with big pairs in them preflop but was also unsure of how agressive to be 6-handed have only played full ring before.

I'll keep shoving and try not to cry when i bust in the future too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2007, 10:21 AM

This isn't a question about Omaha, but instead a question about tournament strategy.
Don't play speculative hands late in tournaments, especially against the big stack. Sure you got it in with the best hand, but you could just as easily fold here and get into the money.

As for your hand, you have two queens and no other reason to play the hand. Unsuited trash with no real way of being able to continue post flop unless you hit a queen. And even then you may not be a massive favourite. However had your ace of hearts been suited then you would have been something like 78/22 on that flop to win.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:21 PM

I assume others have already said this but without looking I say easy fold preflop, keep you out of this mess. But not only for tourney considerations/not wanting to get busted, although they make it much more important.