Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Re: B&M, short stack, bubble push or fold

but if we both whiff the flop, and he is lower, he doesn't get the chance to get lucky on the last two cards.
the main thing is to last through this hand with some chips.

i think this play has some real merit in this situation.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:21 PM

you can't push with 74 here since you have just about no folding equity.
if you did, yes you would push. but with none, you are better off hoping to get lucky in the next bb if needed then pushing a crap hand you know will be called.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can't push with 74 here since you have just about no folding equity.
if you did, yes you would push. but with none, you are better off hoping to get lucky in the next bb if needed then pushing a crap hand you know will be called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this post at all
Old 08-30-2006, 01:18 PM

i am responding the previous poster that said he should push with 74.
you know your 74 is behind and that the big stack is calling.

or what part about it do you not understand so i can explain it better?
Old 08-30-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am responding the previous poster that said he should push with 74.
you know your 74 is behind and that the big stack is calling.

or what part about it do you not understand so i can explain it better?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should really quote what post you are talking about because the OP had QTo. I see now what you are talking about, but that poster was just emphasizing that the OP should push w/ any 2. He does have some FE, though not much, I'm pushing any 2 here as well. We need to double up because then at least we'll have some FE next time.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:10 PM

i responded to the person right before me. i'll try to quote though.

i think you have just about 0 folding equity since the description of the player was that he was bad and loose.
against a good player with a clue, i would agree you have folding equity since he probably can fold his way in. but that is not such a player.
he has to call only 3K more.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i responded to the person right before me. i'll try to quote though.

i think you have just about 0 folding equity since the description of the player was that he was bad and loose.
against a good player with a clue, i would agree you have folding equity since he probably can fold his way in. but that is not such a player.
he has to call only 3K more.

[/ QUOTE ]

My argument is that we are too short to worry about FE, if we double up now, next time we can worry about it, but as it stands, unless we are the first in the pot (and usually not then as well) we have almost no FE, so I'm going in w/ any 2 here to try to double up and really go deep.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:16 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

[ QUOTE ]
First thing - if your stack is this low, I hope that it's because you lost an all in where you had someone barely covered. If you arrived here due to the blinds, I think you're waiting way to long to start pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

While not being aggressive enough in the mid to late stages is probably still the biggest weakness of my tournament game, I'd pushed or called all-in probably half a dozen times prior to here (all but once with a dominating hand, hence my thinking that I'm still probably a little too tight for this stage), and was in this position after a previous all-in left me with about 15k, and I hadn't had anything to push or call with during the previous circuit (actually, I did have ATo once, but with a push and a call in front, I elected to lay it down).

My UTG for this circuit was T4o. With the top stack on my right, a name pro who had shown no compunction about loosely calling pushes from small stacks, and four of the six on the table in pushbot mode, I'm not unhappy with the decision not to push with it, though I understand the thinking behind doing so. There was actually a push from someone that hand, and the pro in the BB did call it, with A-rag. My UTG+1 was 24o and raised to 2/3 my stack by the pro on my right anyway, a move that screamed wanting a caller to me. I didn't even think about getting involved.

My thinking was that with little FE left, I was pushing wanting a call, which meant that I should wait for a hand with a reasonable chance of winning a showdown. The QTo was the first hand in a few where that had happened, and it was folded to me. My real concern was that my showdown value was marginal, balanced against it being only the BB left in the hand.

Wanting a caller is partly why the stop 'n' go didn't appeal to me - it seems to me a move that derives much of its value from causing an opponent to fold. Just stealing the BB would be useful, but mostly because it would put more pressure on the other short stacks to make a move in the next few hands regardless of their cards. With the blinds quite possibly going up by the time they'd come around to me again though, I'd be in exactly the same position in 5 more hands.

For the record, I did push the QTo. The BB had A9s, neither of us hit anything, and IGHN.

Glad to see the general impression is pushing was right here, and I'll go back to working on my aggression in the mid-late stages, so I don't end up in this position again. I appreciate everyone's comments.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:28 PM

go really deep? this is a satellite.