Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Foxwoods Angle Shooter Goes Ballistic

I watched this hand unfold between a rather nice, donkish Australian player and what I thought was a typical 2/5 reg.

The board is something like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and the Aussie makes a small $50 bet into a pot that had about $150 or so in it.

The non-regular starts talking about what the Aussie has, clearly trying to get some sort of read. He then shrugs, turns his hand face up showing K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and motions ever so slightly towards the muck. The Aussie, assuming that his opponent had folded, then pushes his cards towards the dealer. The instant the dealer starts dragging the cards towards the muck, Angle Shooter yells "I CALL! HIS HAND IS DEAD IN THE MUCK! I WIN!"

Before anyone does anything I immediately say, "You are such and angle shooter. You are so disgusting."

Angle shooter then erupts. "WHAT THE [censored] YOU CALL ME AN ANGLE SHOOTER?! I KNOW THE RULES, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE [censored] RULES, I AM PLAYING BY THE RULES AND YOU ATTACK MY CHARACTER" and on, and on, and on. I was a little shocked at the reaction but just sat back and enjoyed it as floor personnel started swarming.

Meanwhile, the dealer still has the Aussie's cards in his right hand about 1 ft away from the muck. As the floor tries to sort out what is going on and get people to calm down, Mr. Dynamite shouts some gems like "I AM CALM, I'M NOT ARGUING!!! HE CALLED ME A [censored] ANGLE SHOOTER! I'M ALLOWED TO FLIP OVER MY CARDS TO GET A READ! HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW THE RULES!"

At this point I politely tell him that he is, in fact, not allowed to do this. His response is a lot more red-faced yelling. The floor then tells him to calm down and, hilariously, for me to do the same. The floor also informs him that he is not allowed to show his cards during a hand, then has the dealer flip over the Aussie's A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and says the pot is awarded to the Aussie.

After a lot more screaming, including some personal attacks, the man eventually calms down a bit, the pot is pushed towards the Aussie, and the floor prepares to leave. At this point I just couldn't help myself and said "He still owes $50! He said "call" after the other guy bet $50 and never put it in the pot!."

The floor then tells him to give $50 to the Aussie, and Angle Shooter throws it across the table at him.

It is difficult for me to describe how angry this man was at me after the hand. I thought it was great when he started tilting away money, but not so great when he then started threatening me with "I'll take care of you if you ever-do-that-again" style.

In the end he apologized and I didn't bust him. Oh well.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods Angle Shooter Goes Ballistic

Funny story, lol. Guy was a douche, didn't need to flip out and I believe all players at the table have a right to protect the integrity of the game. In MOST games, when it's heads up, you are in fact allowed to turn your cards up (not tournament) and play them face up. I see it probably 3-5x a week nowadays.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before anyone does anything I immediately say, "You are such and angle shooter. You are so disgusting."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
At this point I just couldn't help myself and said "He still owes $50! He said "call" after the other guy bet $50 and never put it in the pot!."

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just too good, way to put him in his place
Old 08-26-2007, 12:31 AM

Actually in Most games, you hand can indeed be declared dead, if you angle shoot like that (flash a card, or flip your cards face up on purpose), even in a live game.

It all depends also on where you play as well, if they let you get away with doing that or not.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:33 AM

Actually, no.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:45 AM

i am about 90% sure at foxwoods in cash games you can show your hand at any point when heads up, unless the rule has changed recently. in tourneys you can not but he can turn his own hand up at any point. ive done this in a tourney once by mistake and the floor told me in a cash game its totally acceptable. ive shown hands a few times when heads up at the river to try and get a read and have never been told that this was against the rules

as far as his actions he is a moron loser and im glad he lost the pot and the extra 50.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am about 90% sure at foxwoods in cash games you can show your hand at any point when heads up, unless the rule has changed recently. in tourneys you can not but he can turn his own hand up at any point. ive done this in a tourney once by mistake and the floor told me in a cash game its totally acceptable. ive shown hands a few times when heads up at the river to try and get a read and have never been told that this was against the rules

as far as his actions he is a moron loser and im glad he lost the pot and the extra 50.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually wasn't 100% sure on this, but the floor did say the guy wasn't supposed to show his hand. Either way, that really wasn't the angleshoot I was concerned with. It was that the guy tried to trick the other player into mucking.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:55 AM

Yeah, def can turn your cards up if you're heads up. I used to see it all the time at foxwoods.

Regulars like this guy are the reason I stopped going (and the general nittyness of the place).
Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 AM

It really depends on who you ask. I have asked dealers if it is acceptable, and they say yes. I have had floor aknowledge this as acceptable too.

It really depends what time of day you're playing though, because their answers actually vary for every situation, depending on who is on.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It really depends on who you ask. I have asked dealers if it is acceptable, and they say yes. I have had floor aknowledge this as acceptable too.

It really depends what time of day you're playing though, because their answers actually vary for every situation, depending on who is on.

[/ QUOTE ]

the lol of it all