Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Players not in the hand reacting to flop/turn/river....

It was NL, and I did make the turn bet big enough (because I was afraid of the naked Ace, which in fact my opponent held). So while I'm happy I took down the hand, I'd always prefer that my opponent makes a call without proper odds, and take the chance at losing the pot. I don't suspect the two of colluding, but just generally don't like when people that are out of the hand do or say ANYTHING that influences play.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was NL, and I did make the turn bet big enough (because I was afraid of the naked Ace, which in fact my opponent held). So while I'm happy I took down the hand, I'd always prefer that my opponent makes a call without proper odds, and take the chance at losing the pot. I don't suspect the two of colluding, but just generally don't like when people that are out of the hand do or say ANYTHING that influences play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that he also had extra outs to pair a couple of cards on the board and counterfeit your 2P.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:29 PM

Once a blue moon I'll kid around after I've folded or pretty much given up on a hand as part of the circus atmosphere that surrounds games where most people aren't being very serious. My banter has little to do with my cards and I would STFU if asked or it's clear people are playing seriously.

If people are playing bad and giving me an edge, I don't care much about the letter of the law.

One table I played at there were some folks who knew each other calling out their hole cards after the flop when they folded and other stuff way over the line. They seemed to be having fun, no one else cared. Game was lukewarm so I just left and asked to be seated at a different table.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:44 PM

You definitely have to say something to these people, and if it happens again, KITN. There is one dealer at Foxwoods that is especially adamant about talking about the board in any way whatsoever. She won't even let you say what cards are there. The story she always tells is that one time in hold 'em, she dealt a royal flush on the board, with 3 players in at the river. Action went bet, raise, fold. That is why you don't say anything about the cards.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 AM

Do you think that AA would not have gone all in on that board without the dramatics? I mean the only thing beating him at that point is the case 8. Just a thought.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:54 AM

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I remember about a year ago that Hellmuth and the Sheik really got into it when someone did this very thing. (I think it was the Sheik that reacted after folding the flop- leaving Hellmuth HU with another player- then either saying something or groaning when the turn hit). Hellmuth got real mad and the two ended up arguing. As I recall, they both got penalized- the Sheik for doing it and Hellmuth because he wouldn't shut-up (ain't that a shocker).

I do recall that the TD ruled that Sheik's reaction was not allowed, at least for that particular tournament.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:16 AM

It was Matusow not Hellmuth. It was in the WSOP main event a couple of years ago. Shiekhan had folded and reacted to an Ace on the board (don't remember which street) making it pretty clear he had folded an Ace.

Matusow dropped an F-bomb which earned him a timeout. Shiekhan was also issued a timeout and they almost came to blows over it...
Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is one dealer at Foxwoods that is especially adamant about talking about the board in any way whatsoever. She won't even let you say what cards are there.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

Assuming we're talking about the same woman, I was playing the 4/8 half kill Omaha game once and was heads-up with another guy (there were only four of us at the table at this point, like 4:30 AM and we were all having a good time). The flop came with two low cards and then a third low on the river. I bet and he raises and I say: "Really liked that low card, eh?" and she CALLED THE FLOOR ON ME for 'speculation'. I explained that we were heads-up and the floor let it go, but what an absolute bitch she is.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general opinion out there on players who have folded reacting to subsequent board cards? What is the right way to address the issue? (Do you say something to the player, to the dealer, or the floor)?

[/ QUOTE ]

You tell the player to stop and you tell him why. If he still doesn't get it, and the dealer is a moronic mute, you have the floor explain it to him.

That said, I'd only worry about it in pots you're involved in. The others can fend for themselves. However, if someone does complain about it, back them up.

b