Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Posts linking to Ebay items

Recieved the following PM from a poster and wasn't sure on the exact stance 2+2 takes on it...

[ QUOTE ]
Hi! I'm selling most of my poker books (about 16 or so) on ebay. I wasn't sure if it would be inappropriate to have a post to that regard. Please let me know what you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I give this poster the go ahead?

Haupt_234
Old 02-09-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Posts linking to Ebay items

This is pretty spammy.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:35 PM

I'd ask you not to allow it on the grounds that we probably have a thousand people selling some poker-orientated item on e-bay at any moment, and such a precedent could open it up to a deluge of similar posts.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty spammy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-09-2007, 04:00 PM

I get this alot in the Books/Publications forum. I tell them to contact Mason or Chuck about buying advertisement space if they're interested. I do not allow them to do this in the forums.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get this alot in the Books/Publications forum. I tell them to contact Mason or Chuck about buying advertisement space if they're interested. I do not allow them to do this in the forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

i suggested a "flea market" forum a long time ago.

basically, it is a new forum that is purely for commercial use. let's say i have a ton of books, a set of chips, a website name or whatever the [censored] they want to sell.

what 2p2 does is charge by the inch. the seller can get as fancy as he wants with UBB code toys, and some basic HTML for bolding and size, color etc.

the way it would work is that the poster would develop their content, and admins would drop the code into a sticky, locked thread in this forum. no replies anywhere, just clean individual posts/ads. therefore, the forum would look collapsed with the titles of the item for sale. if the browser wants to know more, he opens up the thread and has a mini ubb/html web page with active links, images etc.

order of threads would start with the most expensive at top, down to very basic at bottom. the thread order could be maintained easily. as i said, pricing would be based on how many vertical inches they want.

this forum would me a money machine imo, and with the seller writing his own code, it could not be easier to create/maintain.

my .02
(that was worth 2 cents less i guess, because i'm not sure i even heard back on the suggestion)
Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Granny... Classified Ads [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Classified's do need a makeover, but based on previous discussion, that's where these things should go...

ps... moving Classified's into a pay per post forum, is an interesting thought...
Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 PM

PS. i would be the first customer. i'm trying to sell a site and would simply drop a screengrab image and active links to email me direct. i could actually make the entire post/ad clickable and send them to my site. or the ebayers can make their whole ad clickable to where they would be brought to the live auction to bid. the creative possibilities are endless. a person could be hired, for a percentage of the take, to administer such a forum and do all the required work on moving, adding, deleting and editing ads for the individual sponsors. they would also be responsible for marketing this space.

you would be amazed at how many people would like a full color, full sized, fully functional ad in this place. the traffic is huge, and the members would LOVE browsing such a place. you could do a 'flea market' discussion forum next to it, and it would be a bunch of people discussing and dissing on some of the stuff being sold. i.e. gabbyyy could decide to become a pro instructor and sell his services of poker lessons by IM. imagine the fun we could have with that. and gabbyyy would probably get some takers with all the thousands of uniques & newbs we get here.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Granny... Classified Ads [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Classified's do need a makeover, but based on previous discussion, that's where these things should go...

ps... moving Classified's into a pay per post forum, is an interesting thought...

[/ QUOTE ]

this idea stemmed during the possible revision of the structure of the classifieds. i was always paying HUGE $$ to maintain the second spot on the tree, and was objecting to the idea of adding multiple pages and columns. i wanted a BIG ad and was willing to pay big bucks. i did not want a crappy little banner and 250 carachter text limit. this is the classifieds on super-steroids. it gives significant space and functionality to the ads, and allows for serious coin rates that could be collected.