Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 07:55 PM

Default When do you slow down with this hand?

5/10 7 handed on a cruise

The game itself -- it's a joke. 7-handed, because they took a blackjack table and stuck a "Hold 'em" sign on it. 4-6 seeing every flop (unless it's raised). Almost no-one other than yours truly ever raises the flop. Players mostly played NL at home games, and had trouble understanding the concept of a structured game. I swear one player didn't know what beat what .... Rake is obscene -- 10% of the first $100 (probably $6-7 most hands, but the game is so soft I think it's beatable).

However, in this hand the three players are Hero (Big Blind), UTG+1, semi-experienced at NL, rarely played Limit, but at least understood what she was doing, and Button -- I think mostly a home game player, but clearly understood the value of agression.

Reads on Button -- Loosish, VERY AGGRESSIVE -- has obviously played before. Has absolutely one of the best runs of cards I've ever seen (for example, hitting Quad Aces twice in a session, many flushes, Straights, etc). He's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar once or twice, but is generally playing the rush to the max -- he's been beating me up pretty badly over the last 3 days). He will bet the button with any two, and is 100% guaranteed to bet the button if it's checked to him.

UTG Plus 1 -- Aggressive, loose for a normal game, but tight for this game. My read is that she understands fundamentals of pokers and can get away from a hand.

Hero, Big Blind is dealt 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The usual 4 or 5 callers, and Big Blind checks pre-flop.

Flop - 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

All check to dealer- Dealer bets, SB Folds, Hero Raises, UTG Folds, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds to Dealer who raises, Hero three bets (cap) UTG +1 calls, Dealer calls.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, Button Raises.

Hero -- ?? Continue to raise or just call it down?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: When do you slow down with this hand?

i would say reraise, especially with UTG+1 in the hand. I just think villain's range is wide enough that raising is +ev.

he might have 9J or 69 or 1010 some of the time, but could also have 108, 107, 55, 77 often enough to make this a reraise.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Raise...jb
Old 08-27-2007, 04:41 AM

I'd bet out on the flop. Nothing is 100% certain, and you can't give a free card here. Also, you might make more money bet/3-betting, especially if the raise is likely to come from the button.

I'd just raise the turn, then if he caps I'd simply call the river UI.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:50 AM

would not raise so quickly on the flop but to the roof on the turn and check/call ui on the river
Old 08-27-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would not raise so quickly on the flop but to the roof on the turn and check/call ui on the river

[/ QUOTE ]
No, raise the flop as high as you can; get the money in while ahead and your opponents are willing.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 PM

Thanks so far.

My thought at the table was to keep raising the turn. However, I didn't for the following reasons.

1. I was pretty sure that if I raised the turn, I would drive out UTG+1, and I wanted her bets on the turn and river.

2. (not presented in the facts). After the turn bet, Button had less than two full bets in front of him. If I raised (and he didn't cap me), I'd have to bet the river, which he was committed to call on anything less than total bluff. Based on his playing style, I was 90% sure that I'd get a bet from him on the river.

Since I had been having trouble getting a read on him, I thought it was worth leaving the couple of dollars in front of him and having him make the last bet (I get to see his cards) rather than pushing the action and showing my cards first (he wouldn't have shown in this case).

Any merit to these lines of thought.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:28 PM

I would raise this preflop in the BB in the game you described. Bet/3-bet the flop. 3-bet the turn. You are very likely ahead and have plenty of outs against J9 if behind. I would get button all in and build a side pot with UTG+1 if possible.