Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Live Tells

I have just started to be able to use tells to my advantage. I find that I can't say exactly what they are, but I've notice things like how people's body language changes when they make their draw or how they post their chips on a call or raise. Table talk still throws me sometimes. I'll have to work on that.

This is all very interesting to me. It was kind of like a light switch came on for me.

What is your tell experience at the low limit tables?
Old 08-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Live Tells

one tell I see all the time is ur opponent getting chips to call u when he checked trying to tell u that he'll call u no matter what but in reality he's just trying to induce to u to check with him.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:23 PM

I think the best close to 100% accurate tell is the live speech. This is the best. ex. I raise, he calls. Flop is A84 I bet he think and says "I don't think you have an A" and raises. This means . "Oh god I flopped a set, he has AK, Im going to make a ton of money here"...stuff like that.

Or the 3rd diamond hits and he hems and haws and takes forever and then says something like "well, I guess I better raise to see where you are at".

These are good. (player dependant of course)
Old 08-26-2007, 07:38 PM

this one player i play at always says stuff like, "i have a pair" or "i'll check my king" and he usually is actually telling the truth. apparently, one of the prop players used to also write for cardplayer and way back, once wrote an article about this dude who never lies about his hand!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:10 PM

When I'm in the small blind, I watch the big blind's hands like a hawk. I've found that many times I can tell if they are going to raise by how they are holding their chips or protecting their hand. I get burned every now and again, but I get to see a lot of cheap flops in the small blind that I definitely wouldn't see for 2 bets.

Louis
Old 08-27-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm in the small blind, I watch the big blind's hands like a hawk. I've found that many times I can tell if they are going to raise by how they are holding their chips or protecting their hand. I get burned every now and again, but I get to see a lot of cheap flops in the small blind that I definitely wouldn't see for 2 bets.

Louis

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I give off this tell a lot. I should work on that too. I think I'll take DeathDonkey's approach and position my hand for a fold no matter what I'm going to do.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM

Suit check tell works like a charm for me. As soon as I see the entire field suit checking, I already know the turn card put 3 to a flush before even looking at it. The best part if when a river is a blank and some donkey tries to buy it representing a flush .... guess what I do then. They often tell me stuff like: " Oh you slowplayed your flush...." I sure did buddy I sure did....
Old 08-27-2007, 04:16 PM

"Do you have an X" where X is something like the over-full, straight flush, quads, Aces, etc. Usually means they have a strong hand a small number of notches worse than that.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suit check tell works like a charm for me. As soon as I see the entire field suit checking, I already know the turn card put 3 to a flush before even looking at it. The best part if when a river is a blank and some donkey tries to buy it representing a flush .... guess what I do then. They often tell me stuff like: " Oh you slowplayed your flush...." I sure did buddy I sure did....

[/ QUOTE ]

I reverse tell this often. It is one of those tells that most people notice and know what it means.

I had a hand where there was a 4 flush on the board on the river. I didn't have the right suit for either of my queens. I had been playing TAG and had a TAG image at the table. I peeked at my Qs (knowing I didn't have the goods) and made my bet. Both players in the pot folded. I'm pretty sure 1 of them had the flush, but fear that I had a bigger one.

The other times I like to do this is when I limp with Axs and hit a 3 flush on the flop. When the turn comes to complete my flush I check my cards. I give this reverse tell when there are players who, like you said, try to represent a flush. It works often and it is easy to do.