Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Chris Matthews surprising honesty on US-Iran relations

(Cliffs at bottom)

MATTHEWS: Let me ask you about a couple things. I thought -- you know, I'm not going to give him credit for anything big time, but he did score some interesting points. He said the United States backed Iraq in the war, the bloody horrible war with Iran that killed a lot of Iranians. That‘s going to help him back home, sticking it to us for backing Saddam all those years.

BUCHANAN: Right. . . .

BUCHANAN: Chris, to your point, he said two things. The Western nations invented chemical, biological and nuclear weapons. The Americans used them on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and they were used on our people in the war against Iraq, where you all supported Iraq against Iran. Now, all those are statements of fact, and they‘re very, very persuasive in the Arab and Islamic world in making his case.

MATTHEWS: Let me ask you, gentlemen, about human nature. It seems to me that the whole third world case against the first world is that we have humiliated that part of the world, manipulated their governments, used the CIA to put people like the Shah -- by the way, the Shah's not from royal blood or anything. They just created that throne for him. The CIA put him in there against the democratically elected prime minister. We have exploited that country for its cheap oil. We've taken advantage of that country. And now we say we want justice.

Is there not an Iranian case against the United States and the West, Mr. Weprin, or do you say they're dead wrong, the country's just wrong and we‘re right? . . .

--------------

GROUP![McLaughlin Voice]
Mr. Politics Board Reader, Is there not an Iranian case against the United States and the West or do you say they're dead wrong, the country's just wrong and we‘re right? . . .

Cliffnotes: Prior to this exchange, the religious doctrine on cable news shows was "US interests may plunder other lands without respect to the cost in terms of human life no questions asked".
Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Chris Matthews surprising honesty on US-Iran relations

It's not really clear to me why the Shah, who's been out of power for a quarter century, has anything to do with whether or not a repressive regime that supports terrorism should be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons. Are you implying that we owe them one? "Geez, we really f'ed up with that whole Shah business. How about we let you get some nukes and we'll call it even?"
Old 09-26-2007, 12:16 PM

I don't think America is really ready to look at our relations with the Middle East in an honest way.

The more I look at it, the more I wonder if the Armageddon scenario presented in the Bible will turn out to be true. It looks like Israel is the religious pawn used to sway the masses for the benefit of leaders on both sides.

This truly brings into question everything that we think that we know.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Where is the proof that they're building a nuclear weapon? They do have the right to use nuclear energy for friendly purposes under the NPT. Last word from the Chief of the IAEA was that they were complying and that they are not making a weapon. But for some reason they passed economic sanctions on Iran yesterday and I can't help but think that all of this sounds very familiar.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Yeah, its all our fault.

[ QUOTE ]
Where is the proof that they're building a nuclear weapon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would a mushroom cloud work?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Wow!

Wow! Chris Matthews said something honest?
Perhaps this is a sign of the apocalypse.....
Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Wow!

[ QUOTE ]
Wow! Chris Matthews said something honest?
Perhaps this is a sign of the apocalypse.....

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, its all our fault.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea! If we can't use logic and evidence, just scare the [censored] out of em!

Hannity would be proud.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not really clear to me why the Shah, who's been out of power for a quarter century, has anything to do with whether or not a repressive regime that supports terrorism should be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons. Are you implying that we owe them one? "Geez, we really f'ed up with that whole Shah business. How about we let you get some nukes and we'll call it even?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people can't get past the sunk cost fallacy when talking about interactions between states. If some indians blew up an airliner there would be a whole mess of pea-brained internet nutjobs that would justify it with wounded knee, and completely refuse to discuss what a crazy bunch of murderers those indians would be.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, its all our fault.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea! If we can't use logic and evidence, just scare the [censored] out of em!

Hannity would be proud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hannity is an idiot IMO.

Reality is often tough to face though, I understand.