Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Learning to Program

Now that schools out, i'll have alot more time on my hands and i'd really like to learn how to program. I'm a computer science major, but i haven't taken any core CIS classes yet just general education stuff. Anyway, where should I begin my endeavor? Since I have a little C++ experience I was thinking about starting there. Anyone know of any good books I should pick up? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

-DG
Old 05-12-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Learning to Program

What do you plan to do with your CS degree? Right now there are two basic camps, Java and .Net. It's probably a toss up which one is going to be ahead by the time you graduate, but both will have large code bases.

There are pretty good free tools out there for Java but you can also get educational versions of the .Net languages. There are some pretty good Step by Step books out there for C# .Net and ASP .Net.

C++ is becoming more of a nitche language at least in corporate America. Whatever you learn make sure you enjoy process and documentation because you'll be doing more of that than programming. Again, my experience is working for EDS and Accenture, working for large bidnesses, your milage may vary if you work for a small ISV or a small company.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:05 PM

kerowo:

I'm pretty sure I want to go in to software engineering.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:33 PM

That's a little vague. Who do you want to apply to when you graduate.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:43 PM

C++ is not going anywhere, and learning C++ before learning .net and java is going to be a lot easier than the other way around.

Focus on C++, get a few books, I don't know any books in particular, but I'm sure somebody else can recommend one.

And while it is true that a lot of the actual development you will be doing in the field will be in languages other than C++, people who understand the fundamentals (which a powerful mid-level language like C++ will provide) can program in anything. And of course you still have places like Google which do most of their development in C++.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:54 PM

Don't most programmers kind of hate C++ or am I wrong?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 PM

I agree with pokergrader. Learn one language well, and you'll be able to pick up (most) other languages pretty fast.

A lot of people start out with C. It's a pretty basic language that gets you pretty close to the hardware, but not as close as Assembler. Many current languages, i.e. Java and C++ (obviously) have their roots in C, so it's a good basis in that respect, too.

As for books to learn C, the so-called "bible" of C is a book called The C Programming Language written by the two creators of the language, Kernigan and Richie. I would also recommend a book called Programming in C by Kochan.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:11 AM

Unless you are going into an industry that uses C, which is pretty much embedded devices, some systems programming, or some other niche there is no real reason for most programmers to spend a lot of time with C. If you know you are going to be working with a technology, learn that technology, if you don't know what technology tell us what industry you want to end up in.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C++ is not going anywhere, and learning C++ before learning .net and java is going to be a lot easier than the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely disagree with this. I learnd Java first, and its a much more natural progression. You can learn Java which takes care of a lot of mundane details for you, and has better documentation. Once you've got that down moving to C++ is fairly straightforward. You just have to learn the things that you now have to do yourself.

I also think that learning C++ is a lot harder to do 'academically'. There's a lot more tricks that you have to pick up, that are really hard to do without a bunch of experience in it.

But I definitely agree that C++ isn't going anywhere. It'll be around for decades still. Although it won't be the most popular language and will start to fade away.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a little vague. Who do you want to apply to when you graduate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats kinda the problem I'm having at this point. I only have a vague idea of what I want to do, and I'm miles away from being able to answer a question as specific as who I want to work for. Developing software sounds appealing, and from what i've read software engineering is a field that is growing rapidly and is both financially and personally rewarding. So thats kinda where I'm at right now.

-DG