Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Learn, Chat & Jail with the Pros (part 3)

Over the next few days (i dont know the exact date) Bodog will announce that Jamie Gold is no longer a rep for their site. This has nothing to do with the court case involving him and Crespin Leyser. It has everything to do with the current political/legislative poker environment. Bodog is planning to leave the US market which is why they announced- about a month ago- that they have pulled ALL United
States advertising: all tv; all magazine; all radio; all newspaper. Thus they no longer need Jamie Gold, who was never very popular and never did anything for Bodogs' bottom line even when he was incorporated into their advertising campaign. This is just the beginning of the end for the era of the sponsored pro. Other sponsored pros will be given the boot and no more new sponsorships will be granted for United States pros. Watch Bodog also give the boot to Williams, Josh and probably Evelyn(though she may have some use in the Asian markets). Stars, UB and of course Full Tilt will begin unloading pros over time as the feds put more and more pressure on them and their business income goes down and down. Furthermore, as I have predicted in my previous posts here, the feds will begin going directly after the top pros who receive financial compensation from the sites. Remember it is completely illegal for any United States citizen to receive any type of financial compensation from a business the United States considers an illegal business entity. And that is exactly what the sponsored pros are doing.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Learn, Chat & Jail with the Pros (part 3)

Bodog Fight is going to make Calvin an assload of money in '07 and beyond so I'm guessing they are only pulling adverts for the poker site?

I will be interested to see if this really happens...
Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Show me this story on Jamie Gold no longer being with Bodog?
He is still on the site: http://www.bodog.com/poker/team-bodog.jsp
His articles are still there.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, as I have predicted in my previous posts here

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, all 4 posts?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 PM

in teh words of BBV...perma ban OP?

I am spending wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy
too much time in that forum
Old 01-25-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember it is completely illegal for any United States citizen to receive any type of financial compensation from a business the United States considers an illegal business entity. And that is exactly what the sponsored pros are doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not strictly true. A US citizen could have an interest in a business that may be illegal under US law as long as that business does not conduct business in the US. So a US citizen could own an online poker room or be sponsored by one as long as that site does not accept US customers. I could have a site that only Euros and Asians can play on and would be fine from the US government perspective. So in the future pros could be sponsored by Party or others that are unavailable to the US. Just like I could own a legal bookmaker in the UK and not face any liability in the US if I took no US bets.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:49 PM

Actually Criminal Law is more protective of the pros than that stated by atomicsoda. Merely endorsing a company that has violated the law is not a crime - to be guilty of a crime you must somehow be involved in the actual criminal activity (by doing something illegal yourself, or through conspiracy or accomplice liability - which require the intent to break the law, not merely advertise the company's existence). For example - If I sign a contract to wear a shirt that says "JOE's Marijuana Emporium, Smoke the best!" I have no legal liability. If I provide you with the phone number to contact Joe so you can buy that marijuana, I have committed the crime of accomplice to drug dealing. If I signed the contract with the specific intent of getting folks to buy Joe's weed, I am a co-conspirator. If I help Joe run the business, I am just as guilty as he is.

Some pros could have worries if it plays out that FullTilt is breaking US law and the pros are actively involved in the RUNNING of FullTilt, which I believe some are. Otherwise, the accomplice and conspiracy theories just wont work because FullTilt is defintely a legal business in most of the worldand the Pros will say thats all they endorse.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/article/8173

seems pretty official now. not sure im buying it because were leaving the US tho since they are keeping arieh, williams and NG.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_news/article/8173

seems pretty official now. not sure im buying it because were leaving the US tho since they are keeping arieh, williams and NG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree. I think they are just dumping him because he's a huge douche and a disgrace to the WSOP. It's a shame too because the past 3 WSOP champions all have been class acts and great ambassadors of poker.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:48 PM

I am confused here, will Bodog still be accepting funds from US customers to play poker....or will they just stop advertising?