Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Is a mathematical call always the right play?

1) You know this typicall situration where you have a maedium stack on the bubble, some guy minraises your BB and you are weaking up with a K5. DO YOU THINK that it is the right play to commit 20% of your stack becouse of the odds you are getting, even though it will couse pretty bad damage to your stack size.

2) This scenario actually occurs more in turbo sng`s:

Blinds 200,400

A guy moves in on you with his last 1000 chips, its folded to you and you are starring at a 85os in the BB. again it is the right mathematical call ( you have to pay 600 into a 1600 - thats more than 2:1) but it`s still the bubble and if you loose the pot you are the short stck!

THanks for your opinions on this difficult situration
Old 08-18-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Is a mathematical call always the right play?

I haven't been on this forum since pre Party changes, in favour of cash games. But I'll answer your first.

If something is mathematically correct, then it means it is the highest EV play, and in the long run you will end up with the most money from playing it. Therefore, surely it is the correct play.

However, just because it is mathematically a call, doesn't mean it is ignoring other factors which aren't included in the calculation. The first is how you play it. If you are incredibly poor post flop, then add that into calculations and it may not be mathematically correct (ie. if you donk off your stack too often, then it is costing a lot more than the min raised amount).

I always remember SNG PT missing a couple of things when I used it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't consider increasing blinds. I don't believe it will consider the much lower fold equity your opponents would have if you pushed a smaller (20% smaller) stack after this hand.

If after considering the above it is still mathematically correct to call, then you should. Otherwise, to find the answer you will have to do some work yourself, regardless of what SNGPT says...
Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Is a mathematical call always the right play?

The most valuable - for me on the bubble - is having FE. I want to have such a big stack that the other can fold when I go all-in and that they dont feel compelled to call.

I always consider my FE in those situations. If I will lose my FE against the other players if I call and dont win - but still has FE if I fold - I will probably fold but if I still have a big enough stack to be able to shove it in and they are not compelled to call I can consider a call.

Another thing is read of the player, since we played some time by now I should by now know what type of player it is and thus have a good ide of the hand distribution of the other player.

Given that I am a bit of a calling station...when given the right odds to call.