Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Default What states are illegal?

Sorry if that has been asked before, but I keep reading that it is illegal to play poker in 12 states in the USA, yet no mention of their names. Does anyone know what states these are?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: What states are illegal?

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if that has been asked before, but I keep reading that it is illegal to play poker in 12 states in the USA, yet no mention of their names. Does anyone know what states these are?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont want to look it up. however, i think if you go to one of the prima sites (battlefield, for example), you can find the states you are looking for.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 PM

it is a felony in Washington state
Old 11-23-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is a case of it being illegal for you to play, except in Washington, as much as it is illegal under certain states' laws for the games to be offered.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:43 AM

Boy, dont pay attention for a few days and all sorts of short hand mis-information occurs.

There are 3 states where state law makes it clearly iilegal to PLAY online: Washington, Louisianna, and Illinois. Even these laws are open to attacks, however, on various legal grounds. In other states, which you would know if you bothered to read the master sticky, it an entirely open legal question with no definite answer at this time (courts have yet to rule).

The 11 or 12 states list is a list used by one network - it is not a list of states where its illegal to play, but a list of state where the SITES have a particular issue: for example, New York is on that list, yet there is absolutely no NY law that makes PLAYING illegal, just that NY considers all "gambling" sites illegal and prosecutes some of them. The sites that exclude NY simply dont want to risk a fight.

In fact, all statements about online poker's legality are opinions at this point. Some opinions seem better than others, but they are just opinions none the less.

Skallagrim
Old 11-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Well, the state of intoxication, for one.