Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 11-15-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Down swings

Hi all,
I am in the midst of my worse downswing ever since I started playing NL online. i play 1/2NL, anywhere from 2-4 tables and within the past couple of weeks I am stuck 20 or so buyins. i only play about 1-2 hours a day, when i get a chance to play. i'll be first to admit that im not playin well, but i also know for a fact that i am getting a real bad run of cards.
My question is, how does everyone here deal with these type of downswings? do you sit out for while? do you drop in limit? for me, its got to the point where once i sit and play, i already know i will lose. my confidence is shot and i cant get a winning streak going anymore.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Down swings

you aren't playing winning poker. the only cure is to move up so you can make the money back ten times faster.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:08 PM

please post some example hands which you play good but still lose in this thread for our entertainment
Old 11-15-2007, 04:19 PM

They are one thing
Old 11-15-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are one thang

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 11-15-2007, 04:25 PM

Please post screen names so we can assess your terrible play first-hand.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:44 PM

Ignoring for the moment all the smart-asses that inhabit this forum, I am running bad right now too and I can relate. I have been beating online poker for 48 months without ever having a losing month. Like you, I play in my spare time, as I am a professional by day.

I use my poker income to pay my son's private school tuition of $750 per month, and for fun stuff like family vacations, nice dinners, and for the occasional trip to Vegas for my wife and me.

Anyway, last month I had my first losing month ever. It was only a $100 loss after rakeback, but it really bothered me. I took a week off of poker, and even switched from Full Tilt to Cake Poker (I figured the $500 sign up bonus would help me recover.)

As I write this I am down 14 buy-ins for the month, after experiencing some of the worst luck I have ever seen, let alone been the victim of. Combined with last month, I am now at 21 buy-ins to the bad.

I have lost track of the number of two-outers that have hit me, after getting money all in. Last night, for example, I got my money in the pot six times where I was an 80% or better favorite. I won ONE of those hands. I understand that this is part of the game, but I am unaccustomed to having so many of these type beats in such quick succession.

I wish I could offer some magic bullet that would cure what you and I are going through, but my plan is to re-read a couple of poker books, make sure that my game is still sound, and get back into it when I feel confident again.

I am a winning poker player. My poker tracker shows a steady upward trend in my profit, until the last six weeks or so. I know I will recover, but this run really has thrown me for a loop.

Good luck and I hope to see a follow-up to this thread reporting a big up-swing (or at least a steady win-rate) soon.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 PM

andrew26,

Funny you should mention your story. Like you I am winning player logging over 3k SNGs. Yet, in the past couple weeks I have been plagued with horrible "luck," I guess. I've also that most of the other regulars I have played against have also been running awful as well. It's odd that so many regulars are running awful at the same time...
Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Coincidence or CONSPIRACY?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ignoring for the moment all the smart-asses that inhabit this forum, I am running bad right now too and I can relate. I have been beating online poker for 48 months without ever having a losing month. Like you, I play in my spare time, as I am a professional by day.

I use my poker income to pay my son's private school tuition of $750 per month, and for fun stuff like family vacations, nice dinners, and for the occasional trip to Vegas for my wife and me.

Anyway, last month I had my first losing month ever. It was only a $100 loss after rakeback, but it really bothered me. I took a week off of poker, and even switched from Full Tilt to Cake Poker (I figured the $500 sign up bonus would help me recover.)

As I write this I am down 14 buy-ins for the month, after experiencing some of the worst luck I have ever seen, let alone been the victim of. Combined with last month, I am now at 21 buy-ins to the bad.

I have lost track of the number of two-outers that have hit me, after getting money all in. Last night, for example, I got my money in the pot six times where I was an 80% or better favorite. I won ONE of those hands. I understand that this is part of the game, but I am unaccustomed to having so many of these type beats in such quick succession.

I wish I could offer some magic bullet that would cure what you and I are going through, but my plan is to re-read a couple of poker books, make sure that my game is still sound, and get back into it when I feel confident again.

I am a winning poker player. My poker tracker shows a steady upward trend in my profit, until the last six weeks or so. I know I will recover, but this run really has thrown me for a loop.

Good luck and I hope to see a follow-up to this thread reporting a big up-swing (or at least a steady win-rate) soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

No losing months followed by one, hmm, variance catching up maybe?