Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 11-16-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Down swings

time for Party Blackjack DUCY?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:21 PM

thanks andrew, as youre about the only one without the smart azz comments.
i think i will take a few days off just to clear my head and come back. ive never experienced such a down swing before, but you know what they say, there is a first time for everything.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:47 PM

is anybody having a bad downswing on limit omaha 8 other then me??
Old 11-16-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is anybody having a bad downswing on limit omaha 8 other then me??

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-17-2007, 06:27 AM

Pokerb - had downswings like yours. My record is 12 buyins downswing.

Make sure you have 20 buyins, when less...move down.

Analyse your hand history, I analyse every losing hand.

When in a downswing....I definitely would take a break...read some poker books or what I prefer is watching some poker on TV (try downloading via [censored]). Also play some live poker, just to change and regain confidence.

When I'm running bad, I defo move down rather than up.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one thing i noticed among how i react and any other profesionaly poker player i know a downswing is so tough mentally to overcome to some losing 100 bucks will cause them to go higher and higher to win it back others will just be pissed off until the ship gets turned around ive had a 3 month period in which ive lost 15k but all of my poker friends call me crazy since i keep a roll of 20k still on stars and i mostly 12 table 50-1 so im way overrolled for what i play... but alot of poker is about confidence and being ok with what you lose or win in a day 2 sessions ago i played 2 tables of 5-10 and lost about 8k all in all it hurt i won back half of what i lost that day on all different stakes... but for all people there will come a point in which losing x dollars just really hurts and it wont matter how good you are at the game if you dont come up with a plan to help deal with it prior to i myself get upset when i lose 1-2k or more it hurts me 100x more then when ive won the supernova freeroll or got into the wsop from a fpp qualifier id suggest to come up with some goals to hit and just realize that everyone goes through bad runs the best players have a way to avoid tilting and making it effect there game... im hoping to get on that level(:

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough, you aren't easy2read. Maybe you should buy some commas with your 20k bankroll.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if your gonna rebuild a roll at .5/.10 why play at FT? There 10% rake at that game with the added bonus of the nittiest (sp?) regulars makes it the worst place to grind IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:53 AM

variance is part of the game, and 20 buyin isn't really that big of a DS if you are not a big winner to start with. I just had a 20+ buyin DS recently and it was indeed frustrating to play through it. There is really nothing you can do though, if you find yourself constantly thinking about it, then don't play. I can assure you that you are not playing your best when you are always thinking about the DS.

A while ago, I used to have goals like 10k month, 50k hands or such. Now I realize those are really not the appropriate goals, my goals now are try to play every hand as well as I could, try not to tilt, try not to make a play without a good reason/read. Your result will eventually follow in the long run. Unfortunately, the long run is poker is pretty damn long. Of course, the best way to reduce variance in the game is to get better, high win rate with no tilt = low variance.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:45 PM

drop down, focus and don't play underrolled (have at least 40 BI's for your level)
Old 11-17-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worst downswing ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

best post in bbv ever

[/ QUOTE ]