Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

hi mvdgaag,

yeah, you def. want to be ahead of your opponents' ranges in these situations, especially your opponent's all-in ranges. first mention i believe is in Commitment Threshold and again a couple times in SPR. didn't want to repeat too much but sounds like we should have mentioned it a couple more times.

matt
Old 08-13-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My grasp of SPRs in play is shaky and I definitely need some more study before trying to add this to my arsenal in a live game. I think I need to make a cheat sheet and practice, but practice how? Any suggestions on tuning up before going live?

[/ QUOTE ]

online 0.05-0.10 is your friend!

El_Hombre_Grande,

i appreciate you saying that. it's how we see it too.

Wilco23,

it's tough. hand reading is the paramount skill and quite difficult to learn. when i'm tired i struggle with it sometimes, even against very familiar opponents.

practice is the biggest help. also study betting patterns. e.g., guy raises preflop, half-pots the flop, then checks the turn chances are he has nothing or a pair and will not call two big barrels.

matt
Old 08-13-2007, 12:41 PM

thanks for the responses, Sunny and Matt.

i really enjoy reading and learning about poker, so take some pride in knowing that you've connected with this reader.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 PM

Just finished it this weekend...I think it's a great book. I still haven't worked much of it into my game...so far I'm just trying to take baby steps with it. But there have certainly been some hands where they became much easier to play...basically because I had a plan and was prepared for various actions.

One thing I wanted to mention was the 'Commitment Threshold' terminology. I found it was better for me to think of two different things here: the Commitment Threshold and the Commitment-decision Threshold. It seems that as I read the book my definition of 'commitment threshold' came to be '1/3 of the smaller stack' (i.e. don't put in 1/3 of the smaller stack and then fold). That's the threshold that once you cross, you're committed; ie. commitment threshold. But then a little further into the book the 'commitment threshold' became 10% of the smaller stack. But 10% is really the 'commitment decision threshold'...i.e. the threshold that once you cross you need to have made a decision about commitment.

It's just semantics I guess and it's probably simple enough to not make the distinction but...that's what seemed to make it 'click' a little better with me.

I see Sunny is a guitar player...me too. And perhaps a John Coltrane fan? Me too...that man played sick goot.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:58 PM

DonkeyChip,

good catch. jeffnc pointed that out too. just goes to show you you can have 10 people read something (and 10 people did read that before it was published) and still miss things.

fwiw i use the heuristic definition of the commitment threshold as 10% of the smaller stack in.

matt
Old 08-13-2007, 01:01 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

Hi Donkeychip,

Yeah, good point. We were originally a little more stringent with the "threshold" terminology, but then in final drafts decided to favor the more interpretative word "plan", for reasons similar to what you mention.

-S

ps- Yeah, coltrane is other-worldly. wilco23, I'm a big Tweedy fan too - some really interesting guitar stuff by Nils on Sky Blue Sky, but I'll save that for another thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Odds Chart

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. I don't understand the entire odds chart in Appendix B on page 306.

It appears that you are not taking into account your own cards.
For instance, the odds of hitting a flush with 2 cards to come is 1.86 to 1, not 1.97 to 1. What am I missing?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Odds Chart

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen this mentioned yet. I don't understand the entire odds chart in Appendix B on page 306.

For instance, the odds of hitting a flush with 2 cards to come is 1.86 to 1, not 1.97 to 1. What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, yes it seems like the whole chart is wrong. Or are we missing something?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice that it says 'discounted outs'. I guess they are considering the fact that sometimes you will make your flush (or whatever) and still lose the hand.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Notice that it says 'discounted outs'. I guess they are considering the fact that sometimes you will make your flush (or whatever) and still lose the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think your guess is correct.